Author Topic: Cannot get driver to run  (Read 7580 times)

gm276

• View Profile
Cannot get driver to run
« on: November 07, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
I have a brand new pmdx 422.   I download the drivers and it appears to install but
when I plug in usb it cannot find driver.  I have 64 bit windows 7.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: Cannot get driver to run
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
It looks like there is a problem with our latest installer, compounded by a quirk of windows "uninstall" function that masked this problem on my test machines.

If this is the first time you have installed our plug-in, then follow these steps to install the VCP driver.  If you are updating from an older version of our plug-in you DO NOT need to and SHOULD NOT do the following as the VCP driver is already installed (even if you un-installed the older version of out plug-in).

Please go here:
http://www.pmdx.com/Downloads_Utilities/

and manually download the ST Virtual COM port driver:
     For 32-bit windows:    VCP_V1.3.1_Setup.exe
     For 64-bit Windows:    VCP_V1.3.1_Setup_x64.exe

Save the installer somewhere convenient on your computer and then run it (double-click on the file name).  This should install the driver for the PMDX-422.  Note that it will actually go through TWO sets of installation dialogs (though you only need to tell it to start one).

If you run the VCP installer and see a message asking if you want to "Modify, Repair or Remove", then click on CANCEL - the VCP driver is already installed and you do not need to install it again.

As an aside, on some Win7 systems, the first time you plug our device in (with valid drivers :-) Windows will try to search for updated drivers (without asking first - how rude).  If you see this dialog, click on "cancel".

Let us know if this doesn't solve your problem.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:20:27 AM by Bob at PMDX »
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

gm276

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
Ah very good.  The supplied driver fixed the problem.
All is well.
Regards,
Don B in PA

adamcaldwell36

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 11:16:37 AM »
I ran into the same issue however, running the new VCP driver did not correct the situation.

The computer recognizes the device however Mach4 will throw an error that says "Auto detect did not find a valid PMDX.....".

Uninstalling and re-running through this process several times has not changed anything.

Any ideas?

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:59:40 AM »
We are addressing this in private emails.  I will post relevant details here once we have resolved the issue.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.