Author Topic: PMDX-424 and KL-6050 Driver Pinout  (Read 3013 times)

Satmanager

• View Profile
PMDX-424 and KL-6050 Driver Pinout
« on: October 20, 2016, 09:33:34 PM »
Hi,

Could everyone please look over the below wiring diagram.  I am using a PMDX-424 with Automation Technology KL-6050 Stepper Drivers. 

PMDX.                          KL6050

Motor 1.         

Com ---------------|-----Dir+
                           |-----Pul+
Step---------------------Pul-
Dir-----------------------Dir-
                                  Enb+ (Not Connected)
                                  Enb- (Not Connected)

Configure COM for 5+V. (As from the design document from Automation Technology).

Question - I am using Ball Screws for the Y Axis. As someone new to all this, I don't want to mess this all up.  Reading the instructions for the PMDX-424, it says that it is possible to reverse one of the motors by swapping the wires on one phase going from the motor driver to the stepper motor.  Do you mean to swap the A+ and A- wires (or instead the B wires)?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:50:56 PM by Satmanager »

Steve Stallings

• Administrator
  • www.PMDX.com/Images/Avatar120.jpg
    • View Profile
Re: PMDX-424 and KL-6050 Driver Pinout
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 09:45:33 PM »
Your wiring description is correct. It is one of several
valid ways to connect these drivers.

Swapping the wires on one phase means swapping the
A+ and A- wires.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Satmanager

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 09:56:25 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for the response. I was pretty sure of what I was doing but wanted someone to check my work before I blew it up!  I used the diagram they provided but it was to large of a file.  I had to reload the manual PDF.   Anyway, will be wiring it up tomorrow, so many thanks.
Don

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 12:09:07 AM »
Since you have the PMDX-424's "COM"  connected to the "PUL+" and "DIR+", there are a couple of configuration things you need to pay attention to:

(1) Tell the PMDX-424 to output +5V on it's "COM" terminals:
Go to the "Configure" menu and select "Plugins...".  Click on the "configure" button for the PMDXSmartBOB.  In our configuration dialog, click on the "Motor Config" tab.  In the top right look for "Step/Dir Common Configuration" and select the "+5V" option.

(2) Set the step pulse polarity.  When the COM is +5V, the step polarity needs to be "active low".  Still in the PMDXSmartBOB plug-in configuration dialog on the "Motor Config" tab, change all the "STEP Polarity" settings to "Active Low".

(3) Direction polarity: this you will have to experiment with to get the motors to move in the correct directions.  The polarity setting depends on how you have the motors wired to the drivers.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

Satmanager

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 02:10:13 AM »
Bob,

Thanks for the configuration help.  I will keep the speed slow and center the gantry before moving anything the first time to make sure left, forward, and up actually do those things.  Already hoping for the best this weekend!

Don