Author Topic: PMDX 424 inputs  (Read 2076 times)

shook

• View Profile
PMDX 424 inputs
« on: April 15, 2020, 11:13:59 PM »
Good Evening,
   I am building a cnc plasma table using the 424 BOB and Mach 4 to run things. I’m in a little bit of a pickle at this point. My systems is using 6 of the 8 input slots for 6 each Pepperal-Fuch proximity sensors. I also have a floating Z axis switch and a Price cnc torch height controller  (3 inputs for THC) that i am going to use (2 more input spaces needed), Any ideas?

thebuildbug

• View Profile
Re: PMDX 424 inputs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 01:45:28 PM »
It seems you have two options

1) Add inputs to your design.

There are add on boards like the PMDX-108-INPUT (requires PC Parallel Port) and similar products that you can use to add inputs to your system.
   Obviously you become the integration engineer on what ever board you choose. I have not done this so I'll leave more detailed advice to others.

2) Combine some of the inputs you already have.

I'm assuming you are using the 6 proximity switches (two per axis) as limit switches for your machine.
   If this is NOT the case, this suggestion may not apply.
   It's possible to rewire your existing proximity switches to only require 3 of the inputs
   (one per axis). Here's a link to a more detailed description

https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Wiring-Limit-Switches

The example in the link above uses limit switches but the principle is the same for proximity switches.
   For N.O. proximity switches you would wire them in parallel, and N.C. switches you would wire them in series.

Mach4 doesn't really care which proximity switch is firing (when it's acting as a limit switch), all it knows is that when any proximity switch fires all motion is stopped. It's sometimes useful
   for the operator to be told which switch caused the stop but this may be a feature you weigh against your current problem.

shook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 07:28:34 PM »
TheBuildBug,
    Appreciate your kind response and ideas. Yes i am using npn proximity switches for X, X-, Y, Y-,Slave (gantry squaring) and Z.
I would like to use them to “Home” as well, all new stuff to me. I will check out the link you sent as much appreciated for your help and planting seeds.
Brad

shook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 08:46:00 AM »
Ok, i reached out to Avid CNC where I purchased the Pepperal-Fuch proximity sensors and found out as TheBuilgBug stated you can combine like axis to use 3 of the 8 inputs from the 424. Basically Avid said yes you can use 6 individual inputs to your BOB but it doesn’t care what’s X or -X. Makes sense so i guess my input issue is no longer an issue! Chalk this up to inexperience or learning ?