Author Topic: SmartBob-411 & 126 K2 Relay  (Read 3173 times)

shaddr3

• View Profile
SmartBob-411 & 126 K2 Relay
« on: November 06, 2015, 11:47:45 PM »
I've recently replaced my ESS with PMDX-411 Smartbob but am having a couple problems. I decided to ditch the ESS due to several homing and limit switch issues not being able to jog when limits hit. 

I'm running Mach4 Build 4.2.0.2763 with the latest PMDX-411 Smartbob Build 0.31.147. I'm using a PMDX-126 and PMDX-107 on a 3 axis mill. My mill has a total of 5 limit switches.

One limit for Xhome/X+/X- (Pin 12), One limit for Yhome/Y+/Y- (Pin 11), One limit for Z+ (Pin 13), One limit for Z- (Pin "E"), and One limit for Z Home (Pin "F").

I've configured the PMDX-126 dip switch settings to run in Expanded Input Mode as cited from the PMDX-411 documentation. All three Leadshine DM2282 Stepper Drivers and Hitachi WJ200 VFD are wired into a magnetic contactor which coil is activated through the K2 relay (Pin 1?) on the PMDX-126. Within the plug-in, I do have expanded inputs enabled. After booting Mach, when I "Enable", the K2 relay coil closes for a second, then opens, and then I lose total communication on the Smartbob to Mach. JP2 on the PMDX-126 is set to "Multimode", and Config8 is set to "Open" (126 Doc. says closed for Exp. I/O + Exp. Outputs which i've tried for shigiggles). 

When I first installed the SmartBob, I had the PMDX-126 configured as normal state with charge pump and the smartbob plug-in with the Gecko option. I did like this with the ESS, as K2 would enable during Mach load  I had several issues with the motors, adjusting various settings, which resulted into tuning the steppers via Leadshine's software. So far I have X+Y running smoothly. I was unable to activate the spindle for the past 3 nights fiddling around but most importantly I need to resolve the expanded mode problem first.   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:10:20 AM by shaddr3 »

shaddr3

• View Profile
Re: SmartBob-411 & 126 K2 Relay
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 12:12:44 AM »
I think I found a problem. I thought K2 was using Pin1 which is really Pin 14, which also can't be used if using a PMDX-107. After re-wiring to K1 Pin 1 which I thought is machine enable, it did nothing. My E-stop is also wired in series to the coil.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:29:41 AM by shaddr3 »

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: SmartBob-411 & 126 K2 Relay
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 12:34:22 AM »
A few thoughts here.

(1) It is possible to have relay K2 controlled by the PMDX-126's "outputs enabled" signal, which is derived from the charge pump signal from the PMDX-411.  To do so, set JP2 to "multimode" and DIP Switch 8 to "open".  See table 4 on page 11 of the PMDX-126 User's Manual for details.  That will leave relay K1 (riven by Pin 1) available is you need it for something else.

(2) Is there a reason you cannot combine the Z plus and Z minus limit switches on a single input on the PMDX-126 board (pin 13) with the Z Home on pin 15?  Or even the Z plun, minus and home, like the other axis?  Either of these configurations would allow you to run the PMDX-126 in "normal" mode instead of "Expanded Inputs" mode.  Unless you are also using a probe input on pin 15 (which you didn't list as being used).

Steve has been talking to someone about the SmartBOB and expanded inputs mode.  If that is you, then feel free to ignore this post if it contradicts something he's already told you.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.