Author Topic: Setting up proximity sensor  (Read 8154 times)

hernandd58

• View Profile
Setting up proximity sensor
« on: April 10, 2016, 06:58:54 AM »
How do I connect the proximity sensors the the PMDX 424 and setup Mach4. I connected the blue wire to com the brown wire to 12v pos+ and the black wire to screw #1 on the input side of the 424 spot j16 went to mach4 configure then to limit singles and that where I get stuck. I tried input 1, motor 0 -- with no luck. Only get a light in the machine diagnostics and a limit switch fault in the history line. Any suggestions

Steve Stallings

• Administrator
  • www.PMDX.com/Images/Avatar120.jpg
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up proximity sensor
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »
Based on your description of your connections, and the fact that you
seem to be seeing something on the diagnostics screen, you probably
have the hardware working correctly. Is the signal on the diagnostic
screen turning on and off when you activate the sensor by moving
the machine? You should be able to test with any steel or iron piece
moved in front of the sensor.

If the diagnostic screen shows the input changing, then you must have
a Mach4 configuration issue or missunderstand what to expect. Please
create a packaged profile and send it to us by email or this forum.

You create a packaged profile using the HELP > SUPPORT tabs at the
top of the Mach4 screen.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:48:17 AM »
I connected the blue wire to com the brown wire to 12v pos+ and the black wire to screw #1 on the input side of the 424 spot j16
Sorry, this is pretty picky, but I'd like to confirm the connections to the PMDX-424:

The PMDX-424 does not have a terming labeled "com" except on the step/dir connectors (J7 through J11) and the relay connector (J18).  Did you mean that you connected the blue wire to the "gnd" terminal on J16?

Likewise, the PMDX-424 +12V supply terminals are labeled "+12U".  Is this terminal on J16 where you connected the brown wire?

I tried input 1, motor 0 -- with no luck. Only get a light in the machine diagnostics and a limit switch fault in the history line. Any suggestions
Which light or lights on the machine diagnostics page did you see turn on when did it turn on (i.e. turned on when the limit switch triggered, or turned on all the time, etc.)?

If the PMDX-424 input is mapped to a Mach4 limit switch input (such as the "Motor 0 --" that you mentioned) then when the switch triggers you should see messages like these if you click on the "History" button in the lower left corner of the Mach4 screen:

Limit Switch X-- tripped!
    Mach halted due to X++ LIMIT switch

Are those the messages you saw?  Or did the message really mention the word "fault"?  If so, please let us know the exact error message (hint - click on the "History" button and you can copy/paste all of the messages).  Oh, and send us the profile package as Steve requested :-)

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

hernandd58

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 04:05:53 PM »
Steven/Bob,
Here is the packaged profile you requested,
Bob sorry but I meant to write down grd and not com.
I connected the brown to the 12v + the blue to grd, and the black to screw #1 on J16
then i went to input signals and selected Motor 0-- and put a check mark on Mapping Enabled, SmaartBOBUSB in Device, and Input1 in Input Name. checked apply and then OK.  In the machine diagnostics screen the X-limit is colored red/yellow ( sorry I'm Color Blind) In the history line it says (limit switch X-- tripped!)
I powered the PMDX 424 I disconnected the sensor from the board and everything above stayed the same.
On the sensor it does light up when it makes contact with metal.   

Thanks for your help

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 04:31:46 PM »
then i went to input signals and selected Motor 0-- and put a check mark on Mapping Enabled, SmaartBOBUSB in Device, and Input1 in Input Name. checked apply and then OK.  In the machine diagnostics screen the X-limit is colored red/yellow ( sorry I'm Color Blind) In the history line it says (limit switch X-- tripped!)
You need to check the "Active Low" column for the "Motor 0 --" input.  Your prox sensor grounds its output when it senses metal.  Now the indicator on the Mach4 Machine Diagnostics screen should turn on when there is metal at the sensor.

FYI - check the "active low" column for *any* input that is driven by the prox sensors (I see you have Motor 0 ++ mapped to pin 15, though not enabled).

Bob
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

hernandd58

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 06:28:38 PM »
Hi It's Me again,
Still no luck, I did what you said, put a check mark on the Active Low for motor 0--, i also removed all other devices from the input singles.  do you think i may have bad sensors i tried two of them already.  Now what I get in the History line is (Mach halted due to X-- LIMIT switch active)
FYI I still get the same note in the history line even when i unplug the sensor from the PMDX 424 board. 
Might just og ahead and purchase new sensors from PMDX just to be on the safe side.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 10:50:56 PM »
Still no luck, I did what you said, put a check mark on the Active Low for motor 0--, i also removed all other devices from the input singles.  do you think i may have bad sensors i tried two of them already.  Now what I get in the History line is (Mach halted due to X-- LIMIT switch active)
FYI I still get the same note in the history line even when i unplug the sensor from the PMDX 424 board. 
Might just og ahead and purchase new sensors from PMDX just to be on the safe side.
While I'd love to sell you a handful of prox sensors, lets back up a step or two and see what we can figure out with your existing sensors.

(1) Please let us know the manufacturer and model number of your prox switch.

(2) Connect one and only one prox sensor to the PMDX-424: blue wire to the "GND" terminal on J16 or J17, brown wire to the "+12U" terminal, and the black wire to the terminal labeled "1".  This should be how you already have the sensor wired, judging by the profile you posted.  But just to make sure.

(3) Power on the PMDX-424 and start Mach4.

(4) In Mach4, go to the "Diagnostics" menu (*not* the "Machine Diagnostics" tab), and select "PMDX SmartBOB-USB".  From our diagnostics dialog, click on the "Show Real-Time Input/Output Status" button.  Move the real-time window off to the side and close the diagnostics dialog.

(5) With no metal near the prox switch, record the state of the LED on the prox switch and the "Input 1" indicator in the real-time window - it should be either a dim red or bright green - crud! Not too helpful if you are red/green color blind.  Hopefully you can tell the difference in the brightness.  If not, a screen shot will help.

(6) Now put a piece of metal near the prox switch.  Again, record the state of the LED on the prox switch and the "Input 1" indicator in the real-time window.

Let me know what you observe.  If everything is working as I think it should, I expect that for step (5) the prox LED will be off and the "Input 1" indicator will be bright green.  And for step (6) the prox LED will be on and the "Input 1' indicator will be a dim red.

Bob

hernandd58

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 11:19:56 PM »
Bob,
No Luck the limit switch light is green and no change when i touched the sensor with metal the sensor light came on but nothing happen to the input  box n the Real-Time Status.
Here is the info for the sensors

6-36VDC 4mm Detecting Distance NO Inductive Proximity Switch LJ12A3-4-Z/BY
by Amico

? Product Name : Inductive Proximity Switch;Model : LJ12A3-4-Z/BY;Theory : Inductive Sensor;Wire Type : 3 Wire Type (Brown, Blue, Black)
? Switch Appearance Type : Cylinder Type, Metal Shell;Output Type : PNP NO;Detecting Distance : 4mm;Supply Voltage : DC 6-36V
? Output Current : 300mA;Detect Object : Iron;Diameter : 12mm/0.47"
? Total Size : 60 x 20mm/ 2.4" x 0.8'' (L*Max.D);Cable Length : 1m/39.4'';External Material : Plastic, Metal
? Net Weight : 47g;Main Color : Silver Tone, Yellow, Black;Package Content : 1 x Inductive Proximity Switch
?

hernandd58

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 11:21:47 PM »
the light on the sensor is what came on when i touched metal nothing else came on.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 11:30:49 PM »
? Output Type : PNP NO
There's the problem.  The PMDX-424 is not compatible with PNP-style prox switches (see the PMDX-424 Quick Start Guide, section 4.12).  You will need to either replace your prox sensors with NPN-style ones (like we sell here http://pmdx.com/Prox-01), or buy a PMDX-105 (http://pmdx.com/PMDX-105) to interface 4 each PNP-style sensors to the PMDX-424.

Bob

hernandd58

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »
Bob,
Ok that good to hear I'll go ahead and get the sensors from PMDX  I'll order them today. Thanks for your assistance.

Again Thanks

hernandd58

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 09:08:46 PM »
Bob,
I ordered the sensors from PMDX and they have shipped, hope to have them before the weekend.  will keep you inform when i installed them.

Thanks

hernandd58

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 10:49:04 PM »
Bob,
The new proximity sensors I purchased from PMDX came in, I installed them today and they worked great.  I did have to slow down the jog rate at 45% so the metal tab would not touch the sensor but other than that they worked great. Should of purchased them the first time.
Again Thanks for your support.
:)   

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 03:26:17 PM »
I did have to slow down the jog rate at 45% so the metal tab would not touch the sensor but other than that they worked great.
It sounds like you have the metal tab moving directly towards the prox switch, and with the higher jog speed the motion wouldn't stop before the tab ran into the prox switch.  Is that correct?

If so I would recommend if at all possible to reconfigure the prox switch mounting and/or the metal tab so that the metal tab passes across the face of the prox switch.  Less potential for damage to occur.
Should of purchased them the first time.
Spread the word my friend :-)