Author Topic: PMDX 122 and PMDX 407  (Read 4192 times)

hscess

• View Profile
PMDX 122 and PMDX 407
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:05:13 PM »
I have the PMDX 122 and is a good BOB and have all four of my stepper working fine. I want to use the PMDX 407, which is the stand a lone version with no ribbon cable to control my VFD. I am not sure how to hook the PMDX 407 to my PMDX 122 and then to my VFD. I am not clear on the instructions. Some one with a rough drawing or any info would be appreciated. I want to turn the motor off and on, also control the speed and also control the forward/reverse. Oh one more thing, I am using the UC100 USB for input to the BOB and seems to work good.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: PMDX 122 and PMDX 407
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 01:15:49 AM »
I'll have something for you sometime on Thursday.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

hscess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 06:07:02 PM »
Thanks BOB, looking forward to hear from you.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 11:10:40 AM »
Well, I was hoping to have the PMDX-407 User's Manual rewrite finished by today, but we are still editing things.  So here are two relevant images.

The first image shows the recommended PMDX-122 jumper configuration and PWM signal connections to the PMDX-407-S.  Note that we recommend using the "charge pump" facility on the PMDX-122.  When using an external motion controller such as the UC100 (or any of the PMDX SmartBOB boards... shameless plug if you want to run Mach4) this is less critical than if you are connecting the PMDX-122 directly to a PC parallel port.  The image shows parallel port pin 16 as the PWM signal.  You may also use pin 14.  And if you are not using the "charge pump" feature, you may use pin 17 (presuming the UC100 supports PWM on this pin).  If you decide to use pin 17 for the PWM signal, change PMDX-122 jumpers JP1 to "normal" and JP3 to "Not EStop/Fault".

The second image shows the connections from the PMDX-407-S (and 122) to a typical VFD.  In order to be able to control the spindle direction you must use the relay on the PMDX-122 board as shown.  Map the Mach "spindle reverse" signal to parallel port pin 1 and make it "active high" (a red "X" in the "active low" column).

If you are already using the PMDX-122 relay for something else, you will need an external relay single pole double throw relay (i.e. with both "normally open" and "normally closed" connections) that can be controlled by a logic-level output.  Or (more likely) use a solid state relay (http://www.pmdx.com/SSR--25, for example) to switch AC voltage to the mechanical relay's coil.  Let me know if you are already using the PMDX-122's relay for something else.

Configure the PWM signal for a frequency of 100 Hz.

Bob

Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

hscess

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »
Thank you very much for this fast delivery of this information. I will install the 407S this next weekend and give you an update.