Author Topic: Wildhorse probe  (Read 4936 times)

Sshire

• View Profile
Wildhorse probe
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:30:30 PM »
I've got a Wildhorse probe as the "Probe" input (pin 15)
Diagnostic screen recognizes it.
Probing screen routines do nothing. No motor activation at all.
Am I doing something wrong?

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: Wildhorse probe
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
I need more information.  I presume that since you are posting here you have one of our SmartBOB products.  If so, which one?

You say the "diagnostic screen recognizes it" - *which* diagnostics screen?  Is this the SmartBOB real-time display which shows "Pin15" (go to the "Diagnostics" menu and select "PMDX SmartBOB", then click on the "real-time display" button)?  Or is this the "Diagnostics" tab (or in newer Mach4 versions, "Machine Diagnostics" tab)?

Do you have the Mach4 "Input Signals" tab configured to map SmartBOB Pin15 to the "PROBE" input (not PROBE1, PROBE2 or PROBE3)?

There may be some setup you need to do with the Mach4 probing screens in order to get them to work.  If you can post your profile here (create a "profile package" by going to the "Help" menu, selecting "Support" and then "Package Current Profile", then save it somewhere you can find it later).  Also tell us exactly what steps you are taking when trying to get the probing screens to do something.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

Sshire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »
Bob
Sorry for the total lack of relevant info.
A second email accompanies this one with screenshots

1. PMDX-411 (current software download

2. Profile

Sshire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »
Here are the screenshots

Sshire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 02:39:08 PM »
I click on Measure X, Measure Y or Measure Z. No motor movement.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 02:41:25 AM »
*** EDITED 8 Sept 2016, see edits under both warnings below. ***

Geeze, this had me running in circles trying to figure out!!!  At least on my system here this is what the issue looks to be:

You have the feed rate configured for "feed per revolution" (G95) and it should be "feed per minute" (G94).  When in "feed per revolution" mode, if the spindle isn't turning then the Mach4 motion planner never sends any movement data to our plug-in.  Well, kind of.  Strictly speaking it does send us probe move data, but the move data is all zero motion.

To change this, go to the Mach configuration dialog (go to the "Configure" menu and select "Mach...").  On the "General" tab, in the 2nd column of config items is "Feed Mode".  Select "Per Min." then click on OK.  Then exit Mach4 and re-start it.

** WARNING #1 **
There appears to be a bug in Mach4 build 2914.  If you change the feed mode in the config dialog, it does not take effect until you exit Mach4 and re-start it.  At least that appeared to be the case on my PC here at home.  I have not yet tried this on any of the Mach4 build 3xxx beta releases.
[EDIT 8 Sept 2016: This is NOT a bug, just a misunderstanding on my part of how Mach4 works.  To make this change take effect, click on the "Enable" button and then click on the "Reset" button just above the "Enable" button.  That will re-send the initialization string to the Mach4 motion planner and update the line on the display. [end edit]

** WARNING #2 **
When I run your profile with "Per Rev" feed mode selected, the G94/G95 mode shown at the bottom of the Mach4 screen (in the wx4 screen set) does not reflect the config dialog setting when you first start Mach4.  When Mach4 first starts, I see "G94" listed, which is "feed per minute".  When I click on the "Enable" button this changes to "G95", "feed per revolution" (which is the setting in the config dialog).  FYI, I also see G99 change to G98, and G61 change to G64.
[EDIT 8 Sept 2016: this happens because the initialization string cannot be send to the Mach4 motion planner until Mach4 is enabled.  So I'm guessing the values displayed before the first time you click on "Enable" are the motion planner's default values.  Clicking on "Enable" the first time also effectively does a "Reset" and sends the init string to the motion planner.[end edit]

Bob
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:50:51 PM by Bob at PMDX »
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

Sshire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 09:15:13 PM »
Bob
Well there's something I never would have figured out. Thanks so much.
I'll make the changes (paying attention to your caveats) and report back.

Thanks again
Stan

Sshire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 10:07:21 PM »
Thanks so much. That fixed it. All is well.
Best
Stan