Author Topic: DS1 outputs enabled only lights up for one second  (Read 3556 times)

aa1pi

• View Profile
DS1 outputs enabled only lights up for one second
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »

PMDX-422 USB  BUILD 2223,   SN 32680  REV B1  ,  USING MACH4 HOBBY  ( LICENSED)
JP3=GND,   JP1=OFF ,  JP2=A 
ONLY USB CONNECTOR ,NO OTHER CONNECTIONS AT THIS TIME
POWER  5 V LED= ON
RED LED ON FOR 1 SECOND
GREEN LED SLOW 1 SECOND BLINKING

RELOADED THE SMARTBOB PLUG IN   2ND
RELOADED THE FIRMWARE       LAST
REINSTALLED  MACH4 SOFTWARE     1ST

NO CHANGES WERE MADE TO THE DOWNLOADED PROFILE
THE FLASHING GREEN BUTTON ON THE SOFTWARE CHANGES TO RED WHEN CLICKED
AT THIS POINT THE SYSTEM SHOWS NO ERRORS IN HISTORY

I WOULD EXPECT THE DS1 OUTPUTS ENABLED TO BE ON (LED LIT) IT IS NOT LIT,..........WHAT DID I MISS?
THANKS     BOB

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: DS1 outputs enabled only lights up for one second
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 04:54:23 PM »
**EDITED TO CLARIFY 2nd and 3rd PARAGRAPHS **

First, to clarify:
DS1 is the power LED and should always be on.
DS2 is the "Outputs Enabled" LED and is a small surface-mount LED next to connector J10
Of the two right-angle LEDs, currently the green LED flashes on and off once per second if the firmware is running, and the red LED only comes on for approx 1 second during startup (it will eventually be the "EStop" LED).

If you click on the Mach4 "Enable" button (blinking green before you click on it), and it changes to red and says "Disable" and the PMDX-422's "Output Enable" LED does not light, you most probably have the EStop input active.  This is a potentially confusing part of the Mach4 GUI - when the button says "Enable", Mach is disabled and waiting for you to enable it.  When the button says "Disable", Mach4 *thinks* it is enabled (even though it may not be, see below) and is waiting for you to disable it.

There is a bug in the Mach4 GUI - it will allow the "Enable" button to act like Mach4 is enabled when in fact it is not.  And by extension, our device is not enabled.  You can verify that this is the case by clicking on the "Diagnostics" tab (*NOT* the "Diagnostics" menu item) and look at the "Emergency" indicator near the upper left corner of the screen.  If it is red, that means that the E-Stop input is active.

If you are using the sample profile provided with the PMDX-422 Plug-In, it is configured to have "Pin10" assigned to the E-Stop input.  That means that in order for Mach4 and the PMDX-422 to be "enabled", you need to:

- Ground  the "E-Stop/Pin10" pin on connector J7 (jumper connector pin 2 to pin 1)
- *or* ground the "E-Stop" pin on connector J10 (jumper connector pin 2 to pin 1)
- *or* if you are using an external break-out board connected via a ribbon cable to J2, then ground the Pin 10 signal on the external break-out board.

You should then see the "Emergency" indicator turn off (show as dark red).  If the Enable/Disable button still says "Disable", then click on it so that it says "Enable", then click one more time.  You should now see the "Outputs Enabled" LED on the PMDX-422 turn on.

If not, let us know and we will see what else we can figure out.

Bob
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:06:00 PM by Bob at PMDX »
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

aa1pi

• View Profile
Re: DS1 outputs enabled only lights up for one second
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:29:44 PM »
Thanks   Bob , It was because ,,no jumper    I used J10  I had placed a jumper on this and it didn't give me the results that I was looking for
so I removed it.
  So this time I found that I had to restart the software for it to take control.
   Regards    Bob Carter