Author Topic: PMDX-422 and PMDX-126 Questions  (Read 4393 times)

Techsavvy34

• View Profile
PMDX-422 and PMDX-126 Questions
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:45:54 AM »
I noticed that the PMDX-422 can be hooked up to the PMDX-126 in expanded mode.  If I connect these two boards will I still be able to use Mach4?  I know I can use 10 inputs from the pmdx-126 but what about the relay outputs on the pmdx-126.  I need one 120v relay that can be controlled by mach for my coolant.  Can the relay on the PMDX-422 be controlled by gcode commands?  It would be awesome if you provided a application note for using these two boards together.   Thanks Luke

Steve Stallings

• Administrator
  • www.PMDX.com/Images/Avatar120.jpg
    • View Profile
Re: PMDX-422 and PMDX-126 Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:31:36 AM »
While using a PMDX-422 to hook up a PMDX-126 to Mach4 will work,
it does not make sense because most of the inputs and outputs on
the PMDX-422 would simply be duplicates of those on the PMDX-126.
Only the 3 extra inputs on J10 of the PMDX-422 would be gained in
the process.

It would make more sense to use a PMDX-410 with a PMDX-126. This
would result in support for all of the features of the PMDX-126 that
are connected to the first parallel port of the PMDX-126. This includes
the 8 step and direction outputs, the 4 inputs from J12 on the PMDX-126,
the E-Stop input, and the 4 outputs that run the relays and interface
to the jack for a PMDX-107. These 4 outputs are also duplicated on J6
of the PMDX-126, but they are not independent but rather just offer a
different way to access the same signals.

The 4 inputs from J11 on the PMDX-126 that are normally supported
by the second parallel port of the PMDX-126 will be supported by the
PMDX-410 when the plug-in for the PMDX-SmartBOB boards is updated
in few weeks to support the Expanded Input mode on the PMDX-126.

The 4 outputs on J5 of the PMDX-126 that are normally supported by
the second parallel port of the PMDX-126 will not be supported by the
PMDX-SmartBOB plug-in or boards.

When a PMDX-410 is connected to a PMDX-126, the 3 extra inputs
on J10 of the PMDX-410 will be accessible independently and result
in a total of 13 inputs (including E-Stop) available from the combined
set of boards. The 3 extra inputs on J10 of the PMDX-422 are not
opto-isolated, but they are planned to be able to support an MPG
or spindle encoder in the future.

This explanation is unfortunately complicated out of necessity. Please
let me know if it is still confusing.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Techsavvy34

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 02:29:24 AM »
Alright thanks Steve.  I'm currently using a pmdx-126, pmdx-107 and a Ethernet SmoothStepper.  I'm looking to upgrade to mach4 and get rid of the ESS.  If I purchase the PMDX-410 the pmdx-107 will still work right?  Also since the pmdx-410 and PMDX-126 both have a E-Stop input which one should I use?  What positions should the dip switches on the pmdx-126 be set to in order to be used with the PMDX-410?  One of the main reasons I'm getting rid of the ESS is because I love your products and the support that you guy's provide is amazing.  Your always on top of updating your plugins to fix any issues or make it compatible with the newest mach release.  I can't wait till you release the SmartBOB-Pro.  It sound's like it's going to be a awesome board.

Thanks Luke

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 01:01:58 PM »
Alright thanks Steve.  I'm currently using a pmdx-126, pmdx-107 and a Ethernet SmoothStepper.  I'm looking to upgrade to mach4 and get rid of the ESS.  If I purchase the PMDX-410 the pmdx-107 will still work right?
Yes, the PMDX-126/PMDX-107 combo will work just fine with the PMDX-410.

Also since the pmdx-410 and PMDX-126 both have a E-Stop input which one should I use?
You should use the EStop inputs on the PMDX-126 and remove the red jumper wire from the EStop input on the PMDX-410 (if we shipped it with a red jumper wire).  The EStop input on the PMDX-410 is really only intended to be used when the 410 is connected (via the 26-pin ribbon header) to a breakout board that does not provide an EStop input **AND** does not drive pin 10 of the parallel port interface.  For example, if you had a PMDX-134 connected to the PMDX-410 (the PMDX-134 only connects to pins 2 through 9 of the parallel port).

What positions should the dip switches on the pmdx-126 be set to in order to be used with the PMDX-410?
No special DIP switch settings are needed.  We do recommend using the charge pump option on the PMDX-126 ("normal mode with charge pump", see section 3.1 of the PMDX-126 user's manual).  But only after you have all of your other inputs and outputs working (as per the "Quick Start" section in the PMDX-126 manual).  If you already have your setup working through the ESS, then it *should* "just work" with the PMDX-410 for all signals you have assigned to the ESS port 1.  The exception is for spindle which will require a visit to the SmartBOB plug-in configuration dialog to set some of the PWM parameters (similar to the Mach3 config shown in our AN002 app note here: http://pmdx.com/AppNotes).

You mentioned in your first post on this thread possibly using the PMDX-126's expanded mode.  The PMDX-410 (and the PMDX-422) will support the "Expanded Input" mode of the PMDX-126.  Not yet, but "soon"  (man I hate using that word, but it IS near the top of our "to do" list).

One of the main reasons I'm getting rid of the ESS is because I love your products and the support that you guy's provide is amazing.  Your always on top of updating your plugins to fix any issues or make it compatible with the newest mach release.  I can't wait till you release the SmartBOB-Pro.  It sound's like it's going to be a awesome board.
Ahhh, shucks :-)

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.