Author Topic: Creep in Z axis PMDX-416 with Clearpath Servos + Mach4  (Read 2689 times)

phogg

• View Profile
Creep in Z axis PMDX-416 with Clearpath Servos + Mach4
« on: August 07, 2017, 11:26:32 PM »
Hi,

I have a very bizarre issue with Z axis creeping with Mach 4. It seems to happen after say 10mins of routing. Mach 4 does not ask the Z axis to move while routing on the same plane, but all of a sudden, the Z axis starts to creep into the job. It initially starts creeping .1mm per pass until it is trying to chomp 2-3mm per pass. Mach 4 reports no change in Z height, but the servo is being asked to descend into the job when it shouldn't. For small jobs there is no problem, but as soon as this 'creep' issue starts to occur it compounds and ruins a job within about 20sec when things start to go wrong.

The X and Y axis seem to have no problems and they are the exact same setup.

Has anyone else come across this issue? I've ruined about 4 jobs now and its starting to get a bit old...

Would love to know how to fix it!

phogg

• View Profile
Re: Creep in Z axis PMDX-416 with Clearpath Servos + Mach4
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 04:09:16 PM »
Mystery solved.
Looks like the collet was not being tightened up enough on the spindle. Over time and as the tool heated up + vibration + deeper cutting, the collet was loosening and causing the bit to pull itself into the job slowly compounding the issue. Nice tight collet, no 'creep' problems.

Simple!!

4x4Scout

• View Profile
Re: Creep in Z axis PMDX-416 with Clearpath Servos + Mach4
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
Boy don't you hate it when stuff like that happens? I have been there and done that.