Author Topic: Replacing Sound Logic Boards with 126 and 107 boards Need HELP  (Read 2757 times)

GreggM

• View Profile
Original Board      

Aux Home   Ground   White
   Signal   Green

Z Home   Ground   Black
   Signal   Red

Y Home   Ground   White
   Signal   Green

X Home   Ground   Black
   Signal   Green
Ax Motor   Com   White, Green, Black Twisted
   Step   Green Black
   Dir   Green

Z Motor   Com   Red White, Red Green
   Step   Red Black
   Dir   Red

Y Motor   Com   Black White, Black Green, Orange Green, Orange White Black
   Step   Brown Black Orange Black
   Dir   Black, Orange

X Motor   Com   Blue White, Blue Black White
   Step   Blue Black
   Dir   Blue
J 15   out   Black/White
   pos 12v   White/Red

j16   out   black
   pos 12v   Red

J18   out   Black
   pos 12v   Red

small spindle board      

Ground   Green
   Run   White
   Signal   Red
   VFDG   Black

this is how my old board was hooked up.

Automatic Tool Changer / Spindle
Dust Collector on/off
Vacuum Pump On/Off

Running Mach 3 updated to 3.043 and added PMD 125 plug in

12strings

• View Profile
Re: Replacing Sound Logic Boards with 126 and 107 boards Need HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 12:50:25 AM »
First - did you have a specific reason for installing the PMDX-126 plug-in?  Usually that is only used if you need more inputs than 1 standard parallel port provide.  It doesn't look like that is the case for your system.  So unless you specifically need it I would suggest removing it.

I have no idea how the Sound Logic board maps X/Y/Z/Aux signals to parallel port pins.  If you can post your Mach3 XML file for your SoundLogic configuration, I can look at it and make sure the PMDX-126 connections use the same configuration where ever possible.  The connections below are a workable configuration but will likely require to to change all/most of the configuration in Mach3.  The For all connections, the same color wires that were to GND on the SoundLogic board connect to GND or PCGnd on the PMDX board.

X Home: J12 pins "11" and GND
Y Home: J12 pins "12" and GND
Z Home: J12 pins "13" and GND
Aux Home: J12 pins "15" and GND

X Motor: J4 step to "2" and dir to "3" and ground wires to "PCgnd"
Y Motor: J3 step to "4" and dir to "5" and ground wires to "PCgnd"
Z Motor: J2 step to "6" and dir to "7" and ground wires to "PCgnd"
Aux Motor (rotary?): J1 step to "8" and dir to "9" and ground wires to "PCgnd"

For the J15, J16 and J18 outputs I need to know what they connect to.  If you really need to switch +12V on each signal you will need external board such as the PMDX-105 and an external 12V supply (maybe could tap into the PC's supply).  Though the 126 has 2 relays on it, so you might be able to use those for 2 of the outputs.  You may run in to issues with the number of outputs that the PMDX-126 supports (4), since two of these are needed for the spindle/VFD control.  That leaves only 2 outputs.  One of these if the large relay, and the other is the "pin 17" output (that is often used as the "charge pump" safety signal).

For the VFD signals, the "run" and "ground" wires go to the PMX-107's "Fwd/Run" and "COM" terminals (ground to COM).  The VFDG goes to Agnd and the "signal" wire goes to "Aout" (I presume).  This will give you a 0-10V (or 0-5V, depending on PMDX-10 DIP switches) analog control voltage to the VFD.  In Mach3, configure the spindle "run" signal (the "M3" output) for port 1 pin 14, and the PWM output to port 1 pin 16.

GreggM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 01:27:48 PM »
12 strings

I appreciate your help.
I was hoping this would be a wire moving project.

Please send me an email and i will send all the files i can find that you need.
thanks again
Gregg

Greggm76@gmail.com

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 12:00:18 AM »
You can post your XML file here in this thread as an attachment.  Should just be that one file.  It has been quite a while since I've run Mach3.  The file name is the name of the profile that you use with a ".xml" file extension.  I THINK it is kept in the "Mach3" folder, but I really don't recall.

GreggM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 10:48:03 AM »
thank you,
hopefully one of these is the correct

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 01:09:09 AM »
You don't know which profile you have been running? OK - I humored you and took a quick look at both profiles.  I am guessing you have been using the "Encoder 1" profile because that has 4 motor axis defined whereas the "Mach3Mill" profile only has 3 motors.  However, the "Encoder 1" profile uses 2 parallel ports and has 4 encoders defined.

Does your PC have 2 parallel ports and were they both connected to break-out boards? And do you have 4 encoders?

If so, you may need to add something like a PMDX-108-Input so you can use the "data" bits on the 2nd parallel port as input signals from your encoders.  However, I do not know if the PMDX-108-Input will work with encoders as the encoder signals may be too high speed for the isolation circuitry on the 108.  This is a question for PMDX.

And if I may ask - are the encoders measuring/tracking actual motor position?  If so, you don't usually need that on a stepper motor system, unlike a servo motor system.

That said, I can at least give you the motor step/dir connections that will match your current "Encoder 1" configuration.  While this is not the way the PMDX-126 is usually wired and not the way the connectors are grouped, it will work.

FIRST - make a copy of the "Encoder 1" XML file (maybe "Encoder PMDX-126.xml"???) and run that new profile.  This is just in case you need to change something in the Mach3 configuration you will still have your original profile to go back and look at.

X Motor: Step to J4 pin "2" and Dir to J2 pin "6" and ground wires to "PCgnd" on either or both connectors
Y Motor: Step tp J4 pin "3" and Dir to J2 pin "7" and ground wires to "PCgnd" on either or both connectors
Z Motor: Step to J3 pin "4" and Dir to J1 pin "8" and ground wires to "PCgnd" on either or both connectors
Aux Motor (rotary?): Step to J3 pin "5" and Dir to J1 pin "9" and ground wires to "PCgnd" on either or both connectors

X Home: J12 pins "11" and GND
Y Home: J12 pins "12" and GND
Z Home: J12 pins "13" and GND
Aux Home: I don't see that configured in the "Encoder 1" profile.

EStop switch: connect between J13 pin 4 ("E-Stop") and pin 3 ("GND").

Try that wiring and run your new profile and see if  the EStop works, and if you can jog each motor and if the X/Y/Z limit/home switches work.

GreggM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
My "A" axis is a rotary index, no Limit switch on it.
pic of encoders on steppers
pic of 2nd breakout board/second parallel port/separate cable to pc
pic of limit switches

yes (Encoder 1)  opens my mach program, I was sending all i could find with .xml extensions just in case.

x 1 motor with encoder 1 plunger switch (home)
y 2 motors both with encoders with 2 plunger switches (home)
z 1 motor with encoder 1 sensor switch (home)
A/rotary 1 motor with encoder (no switches or sensors)

Thank you for your continuing help,
I will try the above wiring this afternoon and see what happens

p.s. currently   the "up/down"  arrow keys BOTH make they Y move backwards ((No forward Movement))
no motion of Z (page up/down) or X (arrow left/right) at all as is wired currently

GreggM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 10:23:27 PM »
moved all the wires to where you suggested.
No stepper movement at all
No spindle movement

only able to reset from mach screen

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 12:43:15 AM »
There are LEDs next to each screw terminal on the PMDX-126.

Your "Encoder 1" config has step and direction signals set to "active low".  That means the Step signal should be high when idle, and pulse low for each step.  This in turn means that the PMDX-126 LED for all step signals will be "on", with the LED for the actual step signal getting dimmer as the motor speeds up.

The LEDs for the direction signals will (I think) be high (LED "on") for moving in the positive direction, and low (LED "off") for moving in the negative direction.

Try jogging the X axis in the positive direction.  According to the "Encoder 1" configuration, the "2" LED (J4) should get dimmer as the motor ramps up to max speed, then brighter as the motor slows down.  The "6" LED (J2) should be "on" (I think).  Then jog the X axis in the negative direction.  The "6" LED (J2) should turn off, and the "2" LED (J4) should get dimmer and brighter as the motor speeds up and slows down, respectively.  Do you see this, or anything like it?  Do you see any OTHER LEDs changing?

Try the same experiment with the Y and Z motors.  What do you see?

Are you jogging using a pendent, or from the Mach3 screen controls or keyboard arrow keys?  Not that I think this makes any difference, but I saw a reference to a ShuttlePro in your config file.  I also see a "RogersPlug", what kind of plug-in is that?