Author Topic: PMDX-416 wiring diagram to cnc machine  (Read 2626 times)

Vic100

• View Profile
PMDX-416 wiring diagram to cnc machine
« on: April 24, 2019, 10:07:04 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am a new CNC user and I bought the above board. I would like to wire it up to my cnc machine but would need a wiring diagram. Can anyone help me out and tell me where I can find this information.

Thank you,
Vic100

12strings

• View Profile
Re: PMDX-416 wiring diagram to cnc machine
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:30:04 AM »
Its not perfect, but have you looked in the PMDX-416 User's Manual in sections 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7?  If that doesn't give you enough information, tell us what information is missing and we'll see what we can do.  Do your motor drivers have drastically different connections?

Since the PMDX-416 has its screw terminals labeled like an old-style parallel port, perhaps some historical references would be helpful.  Here are the typical uses for parallel port pin numbers:

Pins 2 through 9: 4 pairs of step and direction signals.  Pins 2 and 3 are one motor, 4 and 5 another motor, etc.  One of the pair of pins is the "step" (or pulse) signal, the other pin is the direction.  It is your choice which is which, just make sure that Mach4 is configured to match your wiring scheme.

Pins 1, 14, 16 and 17 are general purpose outputs.  For older systems, pin 17 was often used for a "charge pump" safety signal.  With the PMDX-416 that is not needed (and I think not even available in the plug-in).  Pins 14 and 16 are typically used for PWM spindle speed control, if you intend to control spindle speed.  Pin 1 drives the relay on the PMDX-416, so is usually used to power the spindle or other accessory.

Pin 10 is usually used as the E-Stop input

Pins 11, 12, 13 and 15 are general purpose inputs, typically used for limit and home switches and/or touch probes.

If you haven't yet, install the PMDX driver along with the sample profiles, plug in the board and run Mach4.  **MAKE A COPY** of the PMDX-Sample profile and use that copy.  Look around the plug-in configuration and the Mach4 configuration dialogs to get a feel for where you configure the motor step and direction pins and other signals.

Vic100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 02:55:26 AM »
Thank for your reply.

The only diagram of the board I can find is 3.0 LEDS in the user manual, therefore, all your pin references mean very little to me. Please do not take this badly but a wiring diagram showing how each of the components that are needed for the CNC machine are  wired in the system would be very much more helpful. For example, you say Pin 17 is used for what ever. Well Pin 17 is not labeled on the board or any diagram I could find so I can not wire Pin 17 as I don't known where it is. This is a newbie type of problem and I am afraid I am a newbie.

Thank you for your help, past & future,
Vic100

Vic100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 09:10:35 PM »
My apologies to the writer of the first reply email. After looking harder at Diagram 3.0 Leds I did find the pins number. Please accept my apology and write if off as a mistake by a newbie. Thank you for your help,
Vic100
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:13:20 PM by Vic100 »

Vic100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 10:10:19 PM »
To the writer of the first reply message:

I managed to find the Pin numbers as per my last message. I started mapping the board on 3.0 LED's diagram. I managed  to find J5, J6, and the motor connections but could not find the rest of "J" location. After my first mistake, all I can say is,  could not find them but maybe they are there some where. Please enlighten me where they are.

Vic 100

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 09:10:44 AM »
All of the pins *ARE* labeled on the circuit board.  There are numbers in quotes next to each screw terminal pin that show the parallel port pin number that corresponds to that screw terminal.  If you look at the diagram in section 3 that you found, the horizontal connector at the top of the board shows pins "1", "17", "16" and "14".  And while that diagram does not show the connector reference designators ("J1", "J2", etc.), they also should be shown on the actual PCB (note that I don't own a PMDX-416 so I can't verify this, nut on my other PMDX boards, the reference designators are there).