Author Topic: ERROR: valid port-scan did not find a valid PMDX smartBOB USB device.  (Read 4746 times)

rotec

• View Profile
I have just upgraded a working milling machine from mach3 to mach4 and switched out the USB SS for the PMDX-411 which is connected to the same BOB as before.

Im getting this error:  ERROR: valid port-scan did not find a valid PMDX smartBOB USB device.

Help needed thanks.

Paul.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:31:29 AM by Bob at PMDX »

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: ERROR: valid port-scan did not find a valid PMDX smartBOB USB device.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »
First can you tell me what version of Windows, Mach4 and our plug-in you are using (see http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-Forums/index.php?topic=100.0 items 1, 2 & 3)?

When you ran the installer for our plug-in, do you recall if you saw a second set of installer dialogs pop up towards the end of the installation process?  It should have said something about "virtual com port driver".

I would like you to capture a log file for me so I can (hopefully) see what is going on.  See this post for the basic instructions: http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-Forums/index.php?topic=97.0. You can still get to our configuration screens even if the plug-in can't find the device.  The following steps are important to do in exactly this order:

(1) Enable the debug log as described in the other post, then exit Mach4, wait a few seconds, then re-start Mach4.

(2) After you get the error message, go back to our plug-in configuration dialog and disable the log file ("restore defaults"), then exit Mach4

You now have a choice.  If you can find the log file (its location is given in the other post), you can attach it here to a post.  Or if you'd rather, you can create a Mach4 "package" and post that (or email it directly to me at bob at this domain)

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

rotec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »
Hi Bob,

plugins for PMDX-411.  Im using windows 7.  Your plugin is version 0.31.147

mach4 version: 4.2.0.2703

PMDX-411 Green LED flashing slowly.

See attached some screen shots that should tell the story better than I can describe. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:51:25 AM by rotec »

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
Thank you for the pictures Paul.  Its always nice (and often helpful) to see how someone's machine is set up.

3 things:

(1) Is your operating system a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win7?  Even if you know off the top of your head, please go to the START menu and select "Control Panel".  If you see approx 8 groups of topics, then click on "System and Security", and then click on the sub-heading "System".  If instead of 8 groups you see lots and lots of icons, look for the icon named "System" and click on it.  This should show the Win7 version along with other useful info about your PC.  Take a screen shot and post it here.

(2) With the PMDX-411 plugged into your PC, go to the control panel again and select "Hardware and Sound", then under the "Devices and Printers" section click on "Device Manager".  When the device tree appears, expand the "Ports (COM & LPT)" section by clicking on the little "+" just to the left of that item.  Take a screen shot and post it here.

(3) And finally, I'd like you to run the test I described previously to have our plug-in create a log file so I can see what the plug-in sees when it tries to open the device.  Here are the instructions again:

I would like you to capture a log file for me so I can (hopefully) see what is going on.  See this post for the basic instructions: http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-Forums/index.php?topic=97.0. You can still get to our configuration screens even if the plug-in can't find the device.  The following steps are important to do in exactly this order:

(1) Enable the debug log as described in the post mentioned above, then exit Mach4, wait a few seconds, then re-start Mach4.

(2) After you get the error message, go back to our plug-in configuration dialog and disable the log file ("restore defaults"), then exit Mach4

You now have a choice.  If you can find the log file (its location is given in the other post), you can attach it here to a post.  Or if you'd rather, you can create a Mach4 "package" and post that (or email it directly to me at bob at this domain)

Bob
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

rotec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 04:48:10 AM »
Bob I took some screen shots.  Also sent Steve an email (dont have yours) with my team viewer login and pass for the CNC pc, you would be welcome to take a look for your self.  See email for details.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 11:51:18 PM »
It looks like the virtual COM port driver did not fully install.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the virtual COM port driver on your PC via the Teamwork remote access and left you a note on the screen of what to try next to see if it now works.

Let me know if this fixed your problems.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 09:04:35 PM »
To close out thread, the problem was indeed solved by uninstalling and re-installing the virtual COM port driver.