Author Topic: sensors do not work well  (Read 3873 times)

bizionb

• View Profile
sensors do not work well
« on: November 23, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
Please see  in pics Mach3 configuration for X,Y,Z axis ,
where is my error?

touching sensor X or Z (13 and 11 port on Pdmx126b) led decrease light as sign that it feels metal contact.
touching Y sensor (port 12) led lights on only at metal contact .

I have only a cable per axis (in ports 11,12,13) not in GND.
Ground (black cable) is in port GND of 15set (15 empty).
24v+(red wire) is in port 12V+.

sensors are on machine limit X-, Y-, Z+  as homemachine.
and in mach3 I add ActiveLow option but I don't know why I should use it.
Anyway (with or without active low) motors cannot be stopped (in dro view and I think on machine also)
by sensors when I launch "Go to Origin Axis/Machine" from Mach3.

I never use Mach3 and I don't know if "Software limits" can modify sensors work or if that can be other Mach3configuration.

bizionb

• View Profile
Re: sensors do not work well
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 11:18:34 AM »
sensors data:
24 DC v
200mA
12-30v
NPN
(Y axis different Brand and 2mm distance for contact instead 4mm those on X and Z axis)

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 11:57:22 PM »
It seems like the "different" sensor on pin 12 is working - the LED is off with no metal present, and on with metal present.  The behavior of the other two doesn't sound right.

The specs you posted for the sensors show a 200mA current draw for each sensor.  Or at least I'm presuming that is what the "200mA" spec means.  If instead the "200mA" spec is how much current the sensor can sink through its output, then skip this paragraph.  If "200mA" is indeed the supply current for each sensor, they won't work when powered from the PMDX-126.  That would be a 600mA drain on the unregulated +12V, which is spec'd at 250mA max (see the spec for "+12U" in your PMDX-126 user's manual).  If the sensors really are drawing more than 250mA total, that will load down the PMDX-126's supply, causing the voltage to drop below 12V.  Which is then out of spec for your sensors.  The solution here is to power the sensors from an external power supply.  And connect the GND from the external supply to the GND on the PMDX-126 connector J11 or J12.

Do you have a volt meter?  If so, measure the +12U to GND on connector J12 and see what it is.

If that isn't the issue, it may be leakage current through the sensors on pins 11 and 13.

2 things would help:

1. Create a wiring diagram and post it here.  Hand drawn and scanned/photographed is fine.  Show all connections between the PMDX-126 and your sensors exactly as you have it wired.

2. Manufacturer and model number of your sensors.

bizionb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
Thanks mr12strings... 😊😏 I solved and i will post my update with screenshot.
In first i had a problem on port number.
Mach3 sending alarm and error  that was 2 or more sensors on same pin,
so i fix it and i let only home sensors in use on input configuration without x-- z++ etc...because i could change sensor/and home direction in "motorhome/limitsensor menĂ¹.
That sensor with inverse voltage in open or closed mode has been solved leting to it a green sign on activelow input
and x red sign on others sensors, x and z sensors without activelow

bizionb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 01:54:15 PM »
Anyway I readed a post in this forum written by Todd, and after taking voltage measures i also added a resistor per sensor pin. 1k ohm instead 470ohm was good to have a pullup in 5v port with a resistor bridge