Author Topic: touch plate  (Read 3757 times)

grsabourin

• View Profile
touch plate
« on: July 29, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »
Hi,

I would like to add a fix touch plate to my CNC to do tool measuring operation. I would like to generate probe event with this touch plate. I already have a touch probe and I just want to add the touch plate. I would like to connect the touch plate on the PMDX-122 on J3. The PMDX is set to have COM at ground (J1 at 2-3). I would like to generate probe event by putting pin 2 of J3 at the ground. I would like to connect J3 pin 2 to the copper plate (touch plate) and connect J3 COM to the tool. My question is : is it correct to connect J3 COM to the machine frame to get connection to the tool?

Thank you 

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: touch plate
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
Normally, signals coming IN to the PC connect to J5 on the PMDX-122.  This gives you 4 input signals - parallel port pins 11, 12, 13 and 15.  If you already have signals attached to all four of these inputs, let us know which signals are connected where and perhaps we can recommend a way to reconfigure them to make room for the touch plate.

The function of the signals on J1, J2, J3 and J4 (parallel port pin 2 through 9) are controlled by jumper JP5 on the PMDX-122.  If you are using ANY of these signals as output signals (i.e. step and direction), then ALL of these signals must be outputs from the PC, with JP5 set to the "out" position (the shorting clip on the center pin and the pin closest to the 26-pin ribbon header).  In this case you cannot connect your touch plate to any signal on J1 through J4.

If you want to use pins 2-9 as inputs to the PC, and (presuming you are using Mach3) you have the PMDX-122 connected "Port #2" in the Config->Ports & Pins dialog, then you can remove the jumper from JP5 (or install it on the center pin sticking out to the side of the jumper so that it only contacts the center pin).  This makes pins 2-9 inputs to the PC.  See the PMDX-122 User's Manual section 3.1.4 for more information.  This also means that none of the pins 2-9 can be outputs to drive step and direction signals to your motor drivers.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

grsabourin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 06:51:22 PM »
Thank you for your really complete answer. My pmdx 122 is configure to have j1 to j4 as input. The connector j5 is fully loaded with limit switches. I do not have any issue to use to use the same input for the touch probe and the touch plate. My main concern is to confirm if it is possible to connect com to the machine frame to get connection on the tool mounted on the machine

Steve Stallings

• Administrator
  • www.PMDX.com/Images/Avatar120.jpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 08:06:03 PM »
Using the machine frame as an electrical path to the tool which you are
trying to measure can be problematic. Many people use it with success
but it depends on the construction of your machine. Such an electrical
path includes the bearings of the spindle. Bearings are intentionally
coated in oil and this is not good for providing a reliable electrical path.
Some bearings are even ceramic and these are insulators. For these
reasons we recommend a clip lead for connecting directly to the tool
when doing tool length touch off.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com