Author Topic: VistaCNC Pendant problem  (Read 5293 times)

nmskies

• View Profile
VistaCNC Pendant problem
« on: January 13, 2016, 07:04:49 PM »
I just received a new P1AS Pendant for use with Mach4.  I have upgraded the pendant firmware to mach4  according to VistaCNC instructions and I have put the Vistacnc plug-in files for Mach4 into the plug in folder.  My Mach4 mill is configured with a PMDX-126 and PMDX-411 and everything runs just fine.  I am using the latest version of Mach4 2.2803 and the latest version of the PMDX USB Plug-in.

The read out, settings change features and E-Stop on the pendant work.

The specific problem with the P1AS is that the jog modes do not work.  When I attempt to use it in any axis or any jog mode, I get a very small mobement (perhaps 1 stepper pulse) and then the machine is disabled and I get an error message:

"PMDX-Smart Bob-USB Device Error : System error(7):motion under run

I am sending this to the PMDX Forum because the error identifies itself as coming from the smart-bob. I have also sent a request to VistaCNC support.

If you have any ideas on how I can make this wonderful pendant work please help.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: VistaCNC Pendant problem
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:42:09 PM »
I presume that when you say "When I attempt to use it in any axis or any jog mode" you mean that not matter what the jog step size is you always get this error.  Is that correct?

This is likely some interaction between the two plug-ins, though it could be a timing issue between the Mach4 core, our plug-in and our device that is influenced by the VistaCNC plug-in.

I would like you to capture a debug log from our plug-in.  The general instructions are here:
http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-Forums/index.php?topic=97.0

EDIT: When enabling the debug log - please enable the "Motion Info" level instead of the "Debug" level mentioned in the above link

After you enable the debug log, exit Mach4 then re-start it.  Set the pendant to try and jog an axis.  After you see the error message, disable our debug log (step 6 in the link above), create the profile package and email that to me at bob at this domain.  Or you can post it here, though you will have to rename the file to a ".zip" extension instead of ".m4prof".

Bob
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:55:24 PM by Bob at PMDX »
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

nmskies

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 11:53:14 PM »
Thanks Bob for the very fast reply.  Yes with any step size (even .0001) or with continuous mode I get the error.  In continuous mode it may move for one or two seconds before it quits.  With any step size at or below 0.1" the error is instant though I can hear a pulse of the stepper motor and it may be moving one stepper pulse.  This is repeatable 100% of the time.  Jogging with the on-screen jog buttons is perfect for any size move or continuous.  Behavior is the same in all 3 axis x,y,z (which is all I have).

I am running Win 10 pro.  Nothing else running except the usual background services.  Computer is a 4 core 64 bit HP Z-200 workstation running at 2.8 GHz with 4 G of memory.  No other peripheral equipment and no active network connections.  I am using default PMDX sample configuration with changes for the PMDX-107 (works perfectly) and a Renishaw probe wired as a simple normally closed ckt that opens on probe contact.  I haven't done any probing yet but the probe works the led on the diagnostics tab perfectly.

The mill is a cnc'd Chinese clone bridgeport that has been working on Mach3 for many years.

I will capture a debug log and send it to you in the morning

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »
I've got the profile package, thanks.  There are some *very* interesting things happening in the log file (and by "interesting" I mean "what on earth is going on here").  It is going to take me a while to try and figure out what is going on.  I'll post back here when I figure it out, or if I need you to run another test for me.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

nmskies

• View Profile
Re: VistaCNC Pendant problem-FIXED
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 04:52:11 PM »
PROBLEM FIXED

My configuration of Mach did not include proper entries in the input tables for the jogging functions from the pendant.  Added these functions as pendant inputs and hurray---the incremental, velocity and continuous functions all work as designed.

Thanks for your help Bob.  I hope the show is going well; sorry I'm not there.

Mike

Yomama

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 10:12:49 PM »
What inputs did you assign? I had the same problem, I assigned them as ps2 inputs, but not sure what to use in the next drop down boxes. It lists inputs 1-28. It doesn't seem to want to save either. Each time I restart mach 4, the fields are blank again. But, that is editing it without the pendant plugged in. We're you able to do any configuring of the pendant plugin? Mine doesn't do anything when I click on configure.