Author Topic: Outputs Enabled Light  (Read 1139 times)

tonyden

• View Profile
Outputs Enabled Light
« on: March 19, 2023, 04:32:31 PM »
I just replace a PMDX 125 with a PMDX 126. On the old board the outputs enabled light was on but the outputs  were not functioning (no motor or relay movement). With the new board the power light is on but the outputs enabled light is off. I'm using an externally mounted and powered ESS Smoothstepper and Mach 4.

With my mounting configuration it's hard for me to see the J3 jumper. Does it Come shipped with the J3 on or off?

What else should I look for?

The system was running perfectly with the old PMDX until it wasn't; so my hardware and software configuration should be good.

Tony

Walter

• View Profile
Re: Outputs Enabled Light
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 12:58:38 PM »
  I believe the JP3 jumper is shipped in the off position.  Just to be clear, you are powering the ESS from an external 5V power source and not through the PMDX-126.   If this is the case, then this jumper should be fine in the default setting.  Are you getting power to your ESS?  Otherwise, what led you to question the JP3 jumper? 

When you started to install the new PMDX-126, did you follow the Quick Start Guide in the PMDX-126 manual to test and verify your PMDX-126 was functioning correctly before proceeding with the install?  It is best to verify it is functioning correctly and then slowly add new connections, retesting after making the new connections.  Having everything connected before testing makes it very difficult to isolate issues.

Your description of your issue is quite vague, and additional details would make it easier to guide your troubleshooting efforts.  Are you sure the issue is with the PMDX-126 and not with any other component?

If the "E-Stop" light is on (bright red light), then the "Output Enabled" light will not come on.  Do you have an E-Stop button installed with a normally closed switch connecting the E-Stop pin (pin 4 on J13) and the GND (pin 5 on J13) together or is there a jumper installed between these two pins?  The PMDX-126 is shipped with a jumper installed between these to terminals and the PMDX-126 is designed to only function when these two pins are connected together.  Are there any other faults, perhaps from external components such as motor drivers, that are causing pin 6 (Faults, active low) to activate.  The PMDX-126 will also disable outputs if faults are present (or it thinks there are faults present).

A couple quick tests you can perform to determine if the "Outputs Enabled" is in fact on (e.g., the "Outputs Enabled" led is not functional, but the rest of the board is):
    1.  Connect an 5V LED between J7 pin 2 ("OE") and pin 6 ("PCgnd).  The LED should light if the outputs are enabled.
    2.  Configure the K2 relay to be enabled when outputs are enabled.  JP2 connected between pin 2-3 "multimode" and set dip switch "Config 8" to open (off), then press the "Test" button or perform a power cycle.  Connect a LED or something else (contactor, etc...) to the K2 terminals and if the outputs are enabled, the device connected should activate if it is connected to the NO terminal or will deactivate if connected to the NC terminal when the outputs are enabled.

Without more information, I can't think of anything else to verify the PMDX-126.  If you are still having issues after following the suggestions presented, then follow-up with additional information.  Best of luck!

tonyden

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 03:14:22 PM »
I went through the quick start procedure with nothing connected but the AC. Checking all the jumpers I found that J4 was in the "ON" position; I set it to "OFF". On power up the EStop comes on then off as it should (I left the factory jumper across the EStop pins). The power light stays on as it should.The status light blinks with the EStop light. The outputs enabled light does not turn on.

Your suggested tests:
1. I don't have a 5V LED but a voltmeter measures 0.48 DCV  between pins 2 & 6 on J7.
2. With the suggested configuration, the K2 relay does not activate when the test button is pushed.

What is the next step? Can I return the board for repair/replacement?

Tony

Walter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 01:37:55 AM »
I went through the quick start procedure with nothing connected but the AC. Checking all the jumpers I found that J4 was in the "ON" position; I set it to "OFF". On power up the EStop comes on then off as it should (I left the factory jumper across the EStop pins). The power light stays on as it should.The status light blinks with the EStop light. The outputs enabled light does not turn on.

Your suggested tests:
1. I don't have a 5V LED but a voltmeter measures 0.48 DCV  between pins 2 & 6 on J7.
2. With the suggested configuration, the K2 relay does not activate when the test button is pushed.

What is the next step? Can I return the board for repair/replacement?

Tony

For the second test, pushing the test button wasn't to activate the K2 relay.  The purpose is for the PMDX-126 to accept the configuration change to have the K2 relay activate when the outputs are enabled.  Once the K2 relay is configured, there should be continuity (near 0 Ohms) between NC and COM if the Outputs are disabled, and continuity between NO and COM if they are enabled.   

My thought was that the "Outputs Enabled" LED could have failed, when the outputs were in fact enabled.  The onboard LED and J7 pins could be linked and thusly both are failing for the same reason.  Activation of the relay may not be linked to the LED, possibly giving an independent way to verify the outputs.

If it was me, even if the outputs were enabled as expected, I would want to have the LED working and would return the board for a replacement, assuming it is still under warranty.

tonyden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 12:10:23 PM »
Only bought it a month or so ago. Not sure how to return it for warranty. Sent an email to PMDX with no response.

Steve Stallings

• Administrator
  • www.PMDX.com/Images/Avatar120.jpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 06:37:39 PM »
After phone discussions with Tony, we have concluded that there is indeed something wrong with his care. He is returning it for warranty repair.

Steve Stallings
PMDX
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com