Author Topic: 126-134 Motor #4 will not move  (Read 3756 times)

Bill I

• View Profile
126-134 Motor #4 will not move
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
126-134 problem set all step and direction with the assistance from Steve thanks again Steve.  The problem is that #4 drive does not move but it has power.  The motor does move in the test mode and when I plug into another driver it will move.  Could it be a problem with the ribbon cable between the 126 and the 134 also I am running a USB smooth stepper.
Thanks Bill I

Steve Stallings

• Administrator
  • www.PMDX.com/Images/Avatar120.jpg
    • View Profile
Re: 126-134 Motor #4 will not move
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:42:02 PM »
By test mode, are you referring to the test built into the PMDX-126?

If this works for the 4th motor and Mach3 does not, then it is most likely
a configuration issue. Please post or email your current XML file so we
can have a look at it.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Bill I

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:04:07 PM »
Hi Steve
Attached is the XML file you requested.
Thanks Bill I

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 10:59:22 PM »
You have the step and direction pins for the 4th axis swapped.  For X, Y and Z the step signals are on odd pins (3,5,7) and direction is on even pins (2,4,6), but on the A axis you have step on 8 and direction on 9.  Swap those so that axis A step is on 9 and direction is on 8.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

Bill I

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:20:32 PM »
I swapped the pins on the 4th axis and the motor still will not move.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 03:54:04 PM »
The problem is that #4 drive does not move but it has power.  The motor does move in the test mode
As Steve asked: is this "test mode" the PMDX-126's built-in test mode?  If the PMDX-126 test mode is able to move the motor, then it is most likely a Mach3 configuration issue (still), SmoothStepper or ribbon cable (SS to PMDX-126) issue.

and when I plug into another driver it will move.
I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean when you plug another Gecko driver into the 4th position on the PMDX-134?  Or do you mean that when you unplug the motor from the 4th position and plug it into the 1st, 2nd or 3rd position the motor turns?

Have you tried swapping Gecko drivers?  For example, swap the gecko drivers between the 3rd and 4th positions.  Does the problem stay in the 4th position?  Or does it move to the 3rd position?

You can also use the LEDs on the PMDX-126 to help diagnose things.  PMDX-126 connector J1 has screw terminals and LEDs for the parallel port pins 8 & 9.  You may not be able to see the step pulses on the pin 9 LED, but you can see the direction signal.  Jog the A axis one direction and see if the "Pin 8" LED is on or off.  Then jog the other direction and check the "Pin 8" LED.  If should have changed from "on" to "off", or from "off" to "on".  If that works, then go into Config->Ports & Pins and assign the A axis direction to pin 9 (temporarily), and step to pin 8.  Re-run the above test looking at the "Pin 9" LED.  It should change when you change jog directions.  Restore the A config to step on pin 9 and direction on pin 8.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

Bill I

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 08:20:40 PM »
Have solved the problem with some help from Steve.  Both motors are on the X axis went onto Mach Config then down to Slave Axis and made A the slave to the X drive then go into Homing / Limits and reversed A drive direction.  When two motors are on the same axis the motors must run in opposite directions or the axis locks in place.