Author Topic: Rebuild Problem  (Read 2249 times)

dq828

• View Profile
Rebuild Problem
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:10:50 AM »
HI

The computer running my DIY CNC died yesterday but I have managed to access the data from it's C drive, and once that was done I thought it would be simple to get things going on a new (old really Smiley ) computer, but I was wrong!

I downloaded  the latest version of Mach4 and installed it on the new computer, I then downloaded the the latest version of the PMDX 424 plugin and installed it. I them retrieved my modified Profiles from the old :c drive and installed them into the new Mach4 Profiles folder. I updated the PMDX firmware as well.

When I opened my "DQ Working" profile the screen that loaded was not my old screen, all of the changes I had made were gone.  The machine configuration settings look ok. I could get the spindle to turn on but I could not get any of the axis's to move, the motors are not enabling when the Enable button is toggled, and it looks like the Limit switches are not working as well!!

I eventually retrieved the old wx4.set file and replaced the new wx4.set file with the old one, the correct screen layout loaded but when it loads I get the warnings shown in the attached. And just like with the new wx4.set file nothing but the Spindle works.

Does this mean I have to rebuild my old profiles (4 off) from scratch while using the latest wx4.set file?

Any thoughts as to why the loaded configuration doesn't work?

dq828

• View Profile
Re: Rebuild Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 06:00:13 AM »
I guess I'll try this :)

WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND UPDATING OLDER PLUGIN INSTALLS TO THIS VERSION AND RE-CREATE YOUR PROFILES STARTING FROM THE NEW COPIES OF SUPPLIED SAMPLES.

12strings

• View Profile
Re: Rebuild Problem
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 12:55:47 AM »
If you were running an older PMDX plug-in, yes.  But that should only affect things in the Machine.ini file.  Not any Lua scripts.

The first error message refers to a PLC script.  That is a Lua script stored in the screen set and should no be affected by the plug-in issue that corrupted the machine.ini files.  The same thing goes for the second message - it is from a Lua script.  What version of Mach4 *were* you running on the machine that died?  If it was old enough, your modified screen set may reference Lua functions that no longer exist in the newer versions of the screen sets.  I don't remember the history of the wx4 screen set and if they made any significant changes to the startup (and PLC) scripts.

And a word of warning: do not make changes to the "wx4.set" screen set and save them back to the original file.  You will LOSE those changes should you ever install a new (or different) version of Mach4, or re-install the same version of Mach4.  When you are in the screen editor, go to the "Screen" menu and select "Save Screen As" to save it to a new file name.