Author Topic: K2 Relay & PMDX 171 Hall Effect Sensor ?  (Read 4092 times)

Coils

• View Profile
K2 Relay & PMDX 171 Hall Effect Sensor ?
« on: June 14, 2015, 10:54:58 PM »
I have the PMDX 126 board, PMDX 107 speed controller, and an ESS.

The first question is most likely a simple one, but I can't find the answer.
Everything seems to be working, but I'd like to use the K2 relay on the PMDX 126 board to turn on/off a mister/fog buster type coolant setup, but with the PMDX 107 it uses pin 14 to turn on/off the spindle. I'm currently using K1 for this, but would like to add flood coolant later too.
Is there a way to still use the K2 relay with this setup? I looked through the manuals and some of the threads on here but can't find an answer.

Second question is about the PMDX 171 Hall Effect Sensor.
I want to hook it up to read the spindle speeds and hopefully other functions later, but I have no idea how it should be connected to the PMDX 126 other then the +5v & GND.
I have no idea if I need to use the F or T terminal to send the signal to the PMDX 126?

And I'm not sure which terminal to use on the PMDX 126, I thought the PMDX 171 just got hooked up to any "input"? But the part that's confusing me the most is in the PMDX 171 manual where it says that all PMDX boards already have "pull-up resistors", but the only thing I noticed in the PMDX 126 manual was J12 pin15.

I don't know if I'm thinking this wrong or not, but do all the "inputs" have pull-up resistors, so I can use any of the input terminals?
If I can use any input, I'd like to use the J11 Connector and just want to make sure that those terminals would be Port 2 and whatever Pin # the manual shows, right?

What about Mach3, this will be in the "Inputs" tab and the spindle is "Index", right? Active "High" or "Low"?

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: K2 Relay & PMDX 171 Hall Effect Sensor ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 12:50:42 AM »
The first question is most likely a simple one, but I can't find the answer.
Everything seems to be working, but I'd like to use the K2 relay on the PMDX 126 board to turn on/off a mister/fog buster type coolant setup, but with the PMDX 107 it uses pin 14 to turn on/off the spindle. I'm currently using K1 for this, but would like to add flood coolant later too.
Is there a way to still use the K2 relay with this setup? I looked through the manuals and some of the threads on here but can't find an answer.

Yes, if you are connecting both Port 1 and Port 2 from the ESS to the PMDX-126.
- Set jumper JP2 to "multimode" (see table 6 on page 12 of the PMDX-126 user's manual)
- Set DIP Switch 8 to "Closed" (see table 4 on page 11 of the PMDX-126 user's manual)
This will allow Port 2 pin 14 to control the K2 relay.

Second question is about the PMDX 171 Hall Effect Sensor.
I want to hook it up to read the spindle speeds and hopefully other functions later, but I have no idea how it should be connected to the PMDX 126 other then the +5v & GND.
I have no idea if I need to use the F or T terminal to send the signal to the PMDX 126?

Using the "F" or "T" terminals on the PMDX-171 is really a matter of personal preference when connected to a PMDX-126.  If you want to configure the input in Mach3 for "active high", then use the "T" terminal.  If you want to (or don't mind) configuring the input in Mach3 for "active low", then use the "F" terminal.

The PMDX-171 outputs are either pulled to ground or "floating".  The PMDX-126 has pull-up resistors on *all* of its inputs, so no external pull-up resistor is required for the PMDX-171.  The "Pin 15" input on the PMDX-126 has an *additional*, optional stronger pull-up resistor that can be enabled via jumper JP5, but that is not needed for the PMDX-171.  So you can use any input on PMDX-126 J12 (correspond to Port 1 pins 11, 12, 13 or 15), or J11 (corresponds to Port 2 pins 11, 12, 13 or 15).

We normally recommend using the "Pin 15" input on J12, but only because the PMDX-126 has the ability to stretch the duration of the incoming pulse from the sensor.  This is not normally needed, but it depends on the top speed of your spindle and the resulting pulse width from the PMDX-171.  See section 5.5 in the PMDX-126 user's manual.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

Coils

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »
OK, jumper JP2 to "multimode" and DIP Switch 8 to "closed", and it will be Port2 - Pin14 to control relay K2.  And yes I'll look at the manual too.
Yes I am using two ribbon cables from the ESS to the PMDX 126.

Simple enough way to explain the "F" & "T", one get's set to "high" and one to "low", just got to decide what will work for me, or just experiment to see which works for me.  : )

And good to know that the "inputs" on the PMDX 126 all have pull-up resistors, I did think that at first but jumping to different sections of the manual I starting thinking about it too much. Thinking about it too much is what got me confused. LOL

I'm going to try the PMDX171 on one of the J11 terminals first (using Port 2), and if that doesn't work properly I'll switch it to J12 Pin15.
The reason for using J11 is because I want to add a touch probe later and I remember in the manual if it has an LED it most likely will need to be on J12 pin15, since I don't know what probe I'm going to use yet I'd rather keep it open for now.

Thanks again Bob
Off to look at the manual(s) again.  : )

Coils

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »
OH is there a way to copy & paste something then quote it?
I only see a quote button for an entire reply, no why to quote something I add.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:55:21 PM »
OH is there a way to copy & paste something then quote it?
I only see a quote button for an entire reply, no why to quote something I add.

I'll quote your question about quoting :-)

Yes, when you click on the "Quote" button it quotes the entire message.  What I do is manually insert a "end quote" command (left square brace, forward slash, the word "quote" without the quotes, and a right square brace) where I want the first quote to end.  I then type part of my reply, then manually type in the "start of quote" command (same as "end of quote" but without the forward slash).  And so on.  Or you can manually type the quote blocks and then put whatever text you want in between.

When manually entering begin/end quote blocks, don't worry about all the other stuff that the forums put in the original start fo quote block (author, link, date, etc.).  That is all optional.
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.