Author Topic: X only moves to -.  (Read 5473 times)

SeabeeGizmo

• View Profile
X only moves to -.
« on: September 24, 2015, 03:09:01 PM »
 I have had it running OK now for about 3 months and to day it wants to through a fit.

I have the VFD switching on J19 (put it on today) had to change Enable2 (pin 1) to RED on Active Low.

I loaded a program to cut, set the x,y,z, to zero and hit start. The program was ET with piece sign. I am using Aspire 8 for the text file and the order of cutting is eyes then complete cut out. It started with something ??? not what Mach3 was showing for the cut job.

It ran into one of my X limit switchs and triggered an Estop. (that is working well thank the stars) I went to (settings) in Mach3 hit Auto LinitOverRide to get off the switch. ALL it wants to do is go towards the switch (X-), (hit Tab) press X+ it goes X-. go to MDI type in X10 (mm) Mach3 X readout goes to X+10. But the machine goes -10. Type in X-10 the machine goes 20 to minus.

I turn off everything, moved the X by hand back the the middle of the table and restarted all, computer, pmxd, vfd. It still only moves to the minus.

I just put Enable 2 back to green, restarted, still the same.

Y and Z are OK.

This may not be part of it, but sometime back we lost power in the area while I was running the table. Now when I wake up the machine and hit Spindle CW F5 the spindle control card relay clicks but the spindle will not start. If I load a program, hit Cycle Start the spindle starts. After that I can start and stop the spindle with or without a program loaded.

Regards
Gizmo

Steve Stallings

• Administrator
  • www.PMDX.com/Images/Avatar120.jpg
    • View Profile
Re: X only moves to -.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
Look at the LED for the Direction output pin for the X axis while jogging the
machine. This LED will remain on or off even after you stop the jog, so you
can easily look at it even if not visible from the operator console. It should
be ON for one direction and OFF for the other.

If the LED is changing, then your software and the PMDX-126 are OK.

Check for a loose connection in the Direction signal going to the motor driver.

Check for a loose connection in one of the wires going to the motor. Believe
it or not, a stepper motor may run with current in only one winding, but it
will go whichever direction it desires, ignoring commands from the controller.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

SeabeeGizmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:53:37 AM »
Thanks Steve,

As many times I have been in my box setting it up, cleaning, exc. I have not had that happen. The steel pins that you push the connector for the motors could be say about 1mm longer. If they are not seated in 100% you get a bad connection. Just a thought.

Again Thanks for the fast reply and spot on information.

Gizmo

PS: any thoughts on why I have to start a program before I can start my spindle?

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
PS: any thoughts on why I have to start a program before I can start my spindle?

My first thought is that you need to set a speed ("S" word in MDI line or click on "Spindle Speed" field and enter a non-zero value) in addition to clicking on the "Spindle CW F5" button.  It may be that when you run a file it contains an "S" command.  I bet that in your Config->Spindle Pulleys dialog you have zero as the minimum spindle speed.  Is that correct?  If the minimum speed is non-zero Mach3 will automatically "bump" the speed up to this minimum when you click on "Spindle CW F5" and you should see your spindle start up.

If that is not the problem, let us know and we'll see what else we can think of.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

SeabeeGizmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 04:38:43 AM »
 Thanks Bob,

You where spot on. Am glad when it is something simple that I am doing wrong.

Regards
Gizmo