Author Topic: PMDX-126 E-Stop Question?  (Read 3765 times)

Techsavvy34

• View Profile
PMDX-126 E-Stop Question?
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:20:58 AM »
I'm about to install a Emergency Stop, Feed Hold and Cycle Start Switches on my mill.  I know how to install the cycle start switch and the feed hold but the emergency stop has two options.
If I connect the E-stop switch to my pmdx-126 board will the board notify mach3 that the e-stop was pushed?  I also have the pmdx-107 installed so when I push the E-stop I want it to disable the spindle and stepper motors.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: PMDX-126 E-Stop Question?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »
When the PMDX-126's EStop input is active (i.e. NOT grounded), the PMDX-126 will disable** all of its outputs, including signals to the PMDX-107 (which will tell the 107 to stop the spindle).  It will also drive the parallel port #1 pin 10 signal high.  As long as you have Mach3 configured to map its EStop input signal to port 1 pin 10 with a red "X" in the "Low Active" column and a green check mark in the "enable" column, then yes, the PMDX-126 will tell mach3 that the EStop switch was pressed.

One way to verify that the PMDX-126 is seeing your EStop switch is to look at the "EStop" LED.  This is located right next to the "E" in the "E-Stop" silkscreen on the PMDX-126.  The LED will turn on (and is red) when the EStop is active (i.e. switch pressed and the EStop input on the PMDX-126 not grounded).  The LED will turn off when the EStop switch is not active (i.e. switch not pressed and the EStop input on the PMDX-126 *is* grounded).

** "disable" means drive all of its outputs low (near zero volts), and de-energize both of the PMDX-126's relays.  Inputs to the PMDX-126 will still function normally.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

Steve Stallings

• Administrator
  • www.PMDX.com/Images/Avatar120.jpg
    • View Profile
Re: PMDX-126 E-Stop Question?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:34:27 PM »
Please note the relying entirely on electronics and software is not
considered adequate for true safety. Industry practice dictates that
the safety system should rely only on switches and relays. This
can be accomplished by having an E-Stop with two switch sections.
One section is connected to the E-Stop input of the PMDX-126 and
the other is used for an independent system that kills power using
just relays or contactors.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com