Author Topic: How to connect G540 Motor PS to PMDX-179 so that "Motor Power" LED works  (Read 2832 times)

EricMack

• View Profile
I want to get the PMDX-179 "Motor Power" LED to work. I have read the docs and see that the are are two methods, controlled by JP1.

1. I have tried JP1 set to "On Board", thinking I could monitor only when the PMDX-126 tells motor to run. (Not a true indicator of motor power).
   This does not work for me.

2. I am now considering wiring up the external power input and changing JP1 to "External". According to the documentation, I need to connect + and - power from my G540 Power supply to the PMDX-179. OK.
What is the proper way to do this and not mess up isolation? Or does it even matter?

The PMDX-179 is a classy solution and, ideally I want to know how to get both methods above to work.

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions. I could not find the answer in either the documentation or this forum (Checked both first)

My PMDX-179 is connected to the PMDX-126 vis a 3' cat5e network cable. Most of the LEDs work as I would expect them to -- except for the "E-Stop".

My PMDX-179 Config DIP switches are all OFF, JP1 is set to "On-Board" and JP2 is set to "Off"

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 07:17:29 PM by EricMack »

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: How to connect G540 Motor PS to PMDX-179 so that "Motor Power" LED works
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 03:20:25 AM »
I think you are mis-interpreting the meaning of JP1 on the PMDX-179.  That jumper only controls whether the "Motor Power Supply" connector (J1) is connected to the PMDX-179's "Motor Power" LED, or an external LED that is connected to J1 pins 3 and 4.

The "Motor Power' LED is intended to reflect the state of the power supply for the motors.  Not when motors are running.  Some systems have a relay or contactor that shuts off power to the motors until the "system" is up and running (i.e. Mach is running and the charge pump is valid if you are using the charge pump signal).  The "Motor Power" LED then indicates whether the power has been switched on to the motors.

So, with your G540 run wires from whatever is providing power to the G450 (terminals 11 and 12) and also connect them to the PMDX-179 on J1 pins 1 and 2.  Leave pins 3 and 4 unconnected.  Set PMDX-179 jumper JP1 to pins 1-2 ("on-board" LED).

The PMDX-179's Motor Power LED circuit is isolated from everything else on the PMDX-179.  So there is no worry about messing up the motor power isolation.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

EricMack

• View Profile
Re: How to connect G540 Motor PS to PMDX-179 so that "Motor Power" LED works
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 11:13:21 AM »
Thanks for the swift response and clarification, Bob. I did as you instructed and the Motor Power LED works. You may want to paste the clarification you wrote for me into the documentation as an example.

Thanks.

Eric