Author Topic: PMDX 126 & 107 on Parport with X/X? axis & Mach?  (Read 2685 times)

greenbuggy

• View Profile
PMDX 126 & 107 on Parport with X/X? axis & Mach?
« on: April 03, 2017, 01:50:42 PM »
Got a customer who has a router with dual servos running the X axis moving the gantry.  Because of the setup of their router the X and X? are running opposing.  I had this previously setup on the 126 by using ?jumbo mode?, I had X on axis 1, X? on axis 6 with config for jumbo mode so it used pins 2 & 3 for X and cloned pin 3 and cloned/inverted pin 2.

Of course it was set up and working alright with manual control of the VFD running the router but now they want to expand the system.  Starting with open-loop control of the spindle VFD with a 107 and eventually they want to be able to index the spindle using the built in encoder and have it pick tools out of the toolchanger.  Did I mention that this Router doesn?t have OEM support anymore, broken documentation and a previously botched retrofit with a junk B.O.B. that couldn?t even send step/dir signals out to the drives?  LOL

My current problem seems to be that Jumbo mode routes pin 14 to Axis 5 rather than the 107, and I need pin 14 to run spindle direction.  I should note that the VFD is already wired to the 107, it spins up the spindle in the 107?s test mode and I?ve used that test mode to calibrate max spindle speed.

So now I?m wondering if & how I can setup mach to clone & clone and invert pins 2/3 for a 4th axis so I can run the 126 in normal mode w/charge pump and put X? on axis 4.  Right now I?m using the following pins on the parallel port:
X Step 3 Dir 2
Y Step 5 Dir 4
Z Step 7 Dir 6
Charge pump pin 17

Given that, as per the 107 manual page 5 (and it says for the 125 but I?m assuming this is the same with the 126) I think that I should be able to use the 107 on pins 14 for direction and 16 for PWM, and it will share the charge pump signal on pin 17 with the 126.

I also want to know what I should be entering for "base frequency" in the mach settings, and is the "step" box where mach will output PWM for spindle speed control if the PWM box is checked on the spindle setup screen?

Looking long term, this router has an encoder on the spindle and eventually these guys are thinking they want to be able to index the spindle in order to be able to use the toolchanger again.  I?m curious to hear people?s thoughs on the best way to go about that, preferrably using PMDX hardware if at all possible.

Steve Stallings

• Administrator
  • www.PMDX.com/Images/Avatar120.jpg
    • View Profile
Re: PMDX 126 & 107 on Parport with X/X? axis & Mach?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:07:34 PM »
Yes, you can use the software features of Mach3 to treat the A axis (4th one) as a
slave to the X axis using pins 8 and 9 for the Step and Dir outputs. Direction inversion
can be done in the A axis setup. In this case you would no longer need Jumbo mode.

Tool changing, including spindle orient will require writing a macro and sufficient extra
I/O signals to interface to the controls on the machine.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com