Author Topic: M3 and M4 Turns Spindle CW???  (Read 4171 times)

LerninCNC

• View Profile
M3 and M4 Turns Spindle CW???
« on: November 17, 2017, 11:53:43 PM »
I piggy backed this new thread onto my closed out K1 and K2 relay thread but after thinking on it for a couple of days thought it would be best to start a new one.  If this is not the correct way to do let me know.  Otherwise: my spindle will not reverse direction.  I've gone through my Mach3 configuration as well as my VFD parameter settings.  I changed some of the settings one at a time but still no luck and rewired the 107 board to my VFD.  I've read through the manuals several times and haven't been able to find the problem.  Been working on this for three days and haven't made any progress.

I've attached my Mach3 XML file.  Any help is appreciated.

LerninCNC

• View Profile
Re: M3 and M4 Turns Spindle CW???
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 12:35:13 AM »
For info my VFD is a Hitachi WJ200-015sf.  I've attached a diagram of my 107 to VFD wiring.

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 03:26:46 AM »
A simple test  Look at the LED on the PMDX-126 on screw terminal connector J6, labeled "14".  When you try to run the spindle one direction, that led will be either on or off, depending on your configuration (its late, I haven't looked at it).  If you then try to run the spindle in the opposite direction, the LED should change.  For example, if the LED is "on" when the spindle is commanded to move CW, then the LED should be "off" when the spindle is commanded to run CCW.

Are you seeing this?  If not, you have a configuration error, hardware problem in the ESS or PMDX-126, or wiring error that is conflicting with the normal pin 14 functionality.  If you ARE seeing the pin 14 LED change, then the problem is somewhere else (PMDX-107 configuration and/or wiring to VFD or VFD itself).

LerninCNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 11:28:28 AM »
Thanks for responding.  The pin 14 LED does not come on with either a M3 or M4 command.  I changed the Dir pin from pin 14 to pin 17 and pin 1.  These lights came on but the spindle still turned CW with a M3 and M4 command.  For info pin 16 LED comes on whether it's a M3 or M4 command. 

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 11:42:49 PM »
That implies that the pin 14 signal is not making to the output connector on the PMD-126.  Two things to try:

Swap the two ribbon cables from the ESS to the PMDX board.  Pin 14 is the 2nd from the edge of the ribbon cable and sometimes can get damaged when pulling on the cable to get the connector unplugged.

If that doesn't change anything, remove any wires you have connected to the "14" pin on J6 on the PMDX-126 (which there shouldn't be anything connected).  Also unplug the PMDX-107 from the PMDX-126.  Then repeat the experiment looking at the Pin 14 LED while commanding the spindle CW and CCW.

LerninCNC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 10:06:37 AM »
I don't have anything wired into J6 but will try your other suggestions.  Thanks.

LerninCNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »
I swapped the two ribbon cables from the ESS to the PMDX board.  Also inspected the cable and board connectors.  All looks good.  Checked ribbon cable pin 14 for continuity.  Continuity is good.  Unplugged the PMDX-107 from the PMDX-126.  Still no Pin 14 LED with a M3 or M4 command.

I read on this forum where someone else had a similar problem that was due to a bad Mach configuration file.  I reloaded Mach3 and started my configuration from a clean sheet of paper.  I didn't save any of my previous settings because I didn't want to copy over a bad configuration.  Didn't help. 

LerninCNC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 01:48:40 PM »
I need help here.  Still no luck sorting this out.  Either the 126 is not processing a REV signal or the 107 is not passing it through to the VFD.  I swapped the FWD and REV signal wires at the 107 and whether I key in a M3 or M4 command the spindle turns CCW.  This tells me the VFD is configured correctly.

Further info:

Running Windows 7 64 bit
Mach3 version 062
ESS-M3-170328-u4-f1-H plugin version

LerninCNC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 08:35:51 PM »
Still working on sorting this M3/M4 problem.  Reading the 126 manual I found that J6 and J5 outputs are identical.  Got me thinking that could use the J5 "B" and "C" outputs to generate the direction signals.  I got the "B" and "C" LEDS to come on with M3 and M4 commands.  So I think I'm headed in the right direction.  However, these signals are not making it to the 107 spindle control board.  What settings to I need to make/change to get the 107 board to receive these signals?

I sure could use some help.

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 12:19:36 AM »
The PMDX-107 can only use port 1 pin 14 as the direction signal.

It sounds like port 1 pin 14 isn't working, either as an output from the ESS, or as an input on the PMDX-126.

One more test:
1) remove the ribbon cable from ESS port 2 and the PMDX-126.

2) Unplug the ribbon cable from ESS port 1 from the PMDX-126, leaving it plugged in to the ESS.

3) If your ribbon cables are short, you will have to un-mount your ESS from the PMDX-126.  Take the ribbon cable from ESS port 1 and plug it in to the PMDX-126 port 2.  You should now have 1 ribbon cable between ESS port 1 and PMDX-126 port 2.

4) Power on the PMDX-126 and ESS.

5) Start Mach3.  If Mach3 thinks the EStop is active, you may need to tie the pin "E" pin on PMDX-126 J11 to GND.

6) Try to run your spindle forward and reverse and see if the "C" LED on PMDX-126 connector J5 turns on and off.  If so, it looks like the PMDX-126 has a faulty input on port 1 pin 14.  Contact PMDX and see about returning it or repair.  They *may* want you to send the ESS and ribbon cables as well.  If the "C" LED does not turn on and off, the ESS port 1 pin 14 output is not working.

LerninCNC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 12:42:08 AM »
I called PMDX earlier this week and Steve walked me through a series of tests that indicated the 126 board was the root cause.  I mailed them the board, which they should receive tomorrow, for evaluation and repair.

For info, no matter which test the P1 P14 LED would not light. 

I appreciate your help.

LerninCNC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 09:08:30 AM »
I talked with Steve on the phone.  He suggested a few tests that showed the 126 board was at fault.  I sent the board back and the PMDX technician found a buffer chip that drives the Pin 14 signal had a dead output on that signal.  The board was repaired at no cost to me and mailed back.  It is now installed and my mill is working as expected.  Thanks PMDX for the excellent support.