Author Topic: Connecting Clearpath servos to pmdx-126  (Read 5994 times)

jason

• View Profile
Connecting Clearpath servos to pmdx-126
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:13:31 AM »
Does anyone have any experience connecting the sdsk series of teknic clearpath servos to the pmdx 126?  Electronics are not my strong point. 

This is the manual.  The wire definitions are on page 42.  My model number is CPM-SDSK-3432S-ELS

https://www.teknic.com/files/downloads/clearpath_user_manual.pdf

Thanks

12strings

• View Profile
Re: Connecting Clearpath servos to pmdx-126
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 11:13:43 PM »
I'll take a wild stab at this.  Look on page 118 for "step and direction input" mode.  This is how you want to configure the drives (using their software and a USB connection??? I didn't look that far).

Then look at page 46, under "driven outputs, single-ended", the "sourcing" diagram.  Wire the minus terminals to the PCGND on J1, J2, J3 or J4, whichever is connected to the motor.  Connect the the output pins (i.e. "2" and "3" on J4) to the InputA and InputB plus terminals.  Page 118 shows which input is step and which is direction.

jason

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:43:51 AM »
Thanks for your time.  It sheds a bit of light into the fog, and adds on to what little I do know about this.  I think I can get step, direction and enable connected when I have time to try again, but I don't know where the rest of the wires go.  Electronic manuals are always so complicated, I feel like I'm reading another language.

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:43:16 PM »
Sorry - I've been ignoring my computer for a while.

"rest of the wires" - there are the "enable" wires. Look on page 45.  Generally you can hard-wire this to "enabled".  And the HLFB wires - you can ignore them.

Step, direction and enable are all you need.

jason

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 12:00:41 PM »
Thanks for your time and info. This will probably be enough to get me running.

I would like to be able to use the e stop feature with the clearpath to stop things if something goes wrong and get all the wires hooked up correctly. I'm almost finished an expensive router build and this is my last unknown to get it running.

I will tackle this head on shortly when the mechanics and other wiring are complete.

Thanks again 12  strings.

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:51:39 PM »
I would like to be able to use the e stop feature with the clearpath to stop things if something goes wrong and get all the wires hooked up correctly. I'm almost finished an expensive router build and this is my last unknown to get it running.

Can you clarify this.  Do you want to use the ClearPath HPFB output to signal the PMDX-126 when the ClearPath shuts down?  Or do you want the PMDX-126 to disable the ClearPath when the PMDX-126 sees an EStop (or, for example, when Mach4 is disabled)?  Or something else entirely?

jason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »
Thanks for getting back.  Yes I would like to use the HLFB in the clearpath and have it put things on hold if there's a problem.

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 02:06:11 AM »
Thanks for getting back.  Yes I would like to use the HLFB in the clearpath and have it put things on hold if there's a problem.
This should work with the PMDX-126's FAULT input.  Take the HLFB- lines from all of your drives and connect them to the GND terminal on J13 (next to the FAULT terminal, though it really doesn't matter) on the PMDX-126.  The connect the HLFB+ lines from all your drives to the FAULT terminal on J13 of the PMDX-126.

Now configure all of your ClearPath motors to make the HLFB output be the "enabled or shutdown" output.  See page 47 in the ClearPath manual.

Now if any drive "faults" (i.e. disables itself), the PMDX-126 will see that as an E-Stop.  The PMDX-126 will disable all of its outputs and assert the EStop signal to Mach on pin 10 of the parallel port.

jason

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 11:02:05 AM »
Thank you much. I will try this soon and report back.

jason

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:44:03 PM »
FINALLY!! Thank you so much 12 strings. I finally got it rolling.  I have a greater understanding of all the electronics too. I really appreciate your help. I couldn't find the info anywhere and I'm so busy it's hard to stop and decipher electronics manuals.

thosj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 08:49:47 AM »
Hey Jason,

Not TOO old a thread so hopefully not too much of a dredge. Hopefully you'll see this!

I'm in the same position you were in January!! I have one ClearPath SDSK I want to wire to my Z axis leaving my Gecko's on the other three for now. I am not that sure how to wire the enable AND the HLFB. I can possibly get the step/dir right!!!. Can you explain exactly how you have Enable and HLFB wired to the PMDX-126? I'd appreciate it.

I have a PMDX-126 Rev. C

Tom
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:10:50 AM by thosj »

jason

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »
Hey Tom,

I burnt up my pmdx by accidentally applying dc power to it. It works but makes the clearpath motor clunk when I turn it off.  I switched to a c10 board that I had as a spare and all works well. I put the yellow, orange and brown wires which are the enable -, input A - and input b - in a ground terminal. I have the black wire which is input b in the step terminal the white wire which is input a in the direction terminal , and the blue wire in the enable input.

I have been too lazy to connect the hlfb yet, I’m pretty sure you plug those into the emergency stop input, I’m not sure though. I’ll be doing it soon though. I could be wrong but I think the motor corrects its location without the hlfb connected. I’m under the impression the hlfb wired to the break out board only stops the machine if it goes into fault.

Hope this helps you out.

Jason

Ron Clapp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 12:27:52 AM »
12 strings;
my question is related to the same 126 board but with stepper motors

i have a question as to the wiring of a nema 23 4 wire stepper motor its bi polar  wires are red, black, green, white.
i bought the pmdx board to run my plasma /router table that i have built its 5x10 table size
i purchased the double 16 male to male printer cabling to hook it directly to my computer.
my questions are.

1.can i wire the motors straight to the 126 board without gecko drives?
could you steer me to a drawing wiring schematic on wiring the motors directly to the 126 board, i know they go to the J-1,2,3,4 blocks

2. i am at a loss here do i need another 5 volt power supply from another supply or what?

3. the board has the delay built in to not move the motors or anything until the computer is booted completely up.

this machine has been many years in the building and design and i would appreciate the help here to try to make it move under its own power again.
thanks Ron Clapp

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 10:56:23 PM »
(1) No, you cannot connect your stepper motors directly to the PMDX-126.  You must use stepper motor drivers suck as any of the GeckoDrive models and any of a number of other brands.  To wire the stepper motor drivers, see the diagrams in section 2.5.2 of the PMDX-126 manual.

(2) You will need a power supply for your motors, typically 24VDC to 80VDC, but the actual voltage and current ratings depend on what motors and motor drivers you have.  Refer to the manual for your stepper motor drivers.  You can also look at the manual for the PMDX-137 for sample voltage calculations.

(3) If you enable the "charge pump" on the PMDX-126, then, yes, the PMDX-126 will prevent any movement until the PC boots AND your motion control software (Mach3/4, etc.) is running and enabled.