Author Topic: PMDX 411 won't stay connected  (Read 2085 times)

mhackney

• View Profile
PMDX 411 won't stay connected
« on: February 17, 2018, 04:41:39 PM »
I'm finally commissioning my CNC router with Mach 4. I'm running Mach 4version 4.2.0.3481 on Windows 10 version 1709 64bit with a Gecko G540 controller. I had been using this system with Mach 3 and a parallel port on a PC with no problems. I migrated my config over to Mach 4 and that went smoothly. When I first installed the 411 back in Nov, I did some homing, jogging and air cutting and all was well. I had not hooked up the SuperPID 2 controller yet so I didn't use the machine. Now I'm getting the SuperPID working - that was straightforward - but my 411 is constantly disconnecting with this error:

PMDX: Could not disable the PMDX-SmartBOB, error 'Cannot communicate with device'

When this happens, I'm hosed and have to shutdown and relaunch Mach to recover. At which time I can re-home, maybe jog a bit and then it fails with this error again.

I've tried googling this error and looked on the forum but haven't found anything helpful

mhackney

• View Profile
Re: PMDX 411 won't stay connected
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 04:46:04 PM »
I also notice that even if I just let Mach 4 launch and don't do anything, the 411 will generate this error within a minute or so of launching.

12strings

• View Profile
Re: PMDX 411 won't stay connected
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 01:43:54 AM »
This could be due to electrical noise from the SuperPID.  Spindle controllers are notious for generating tons of electrical noise.  Specially this thing switching curent into a standard router.  Does this only happen when the SuperPID is powered on?  If so, you may have to play with wire routing and get the SuperPID as far away from the PMDX-411 as possible.  Separate any wires to/from the SuperPID as much as possible from the USB cable and anything else that goes to/from the PMDX-411.  You may also need to shield any wires from the PMDX-411 to the SuperPID.