Author Topic: Mach4 PMDX-424 Homing Error  (Read 2789 times)

backlashphoenix

• View Profile
Mach4 PMDX-424 Homing Error
« on: March 16, 2018, 09:53:03 AM »
I'm getting a couple of errors when I try to RefAllHome in Mach4. The Z-axis error occurs when trying to home all axes. The X-axis error occurs when trying to home only the X and Y axes. Haven't had any luck troubleshooting these. Thanks

backlashphoenix

• View Profile
Re: Mach4 PMDX-424 Homing Error
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:58:04 AM »
Sorry, forgot to include:
Mach4 Build #: 3481
SmartBob-USB Firmware Version: 0.58.205
Running Windows 7

backlashphoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:06:33 AM »
Plug-In Version: 0.52.254

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 03:20:24 PM »
The first error you show (communications error) means the plug-in was unable to talk to the PMDX-424.  The usual cause of this is either electrical noise or a loose/faulty USB cable.  Have you seen his error at any other time (like normal motion of the Z axis)?  The 424 has an isolated USB interface, which *should* make the USB less susceptible to electrical noise, unless you have wiring somewhere that connects various grounds (the PC's ground and either of the 424's isolated grounds) which then defeats the benefit of the isolated USB.

Standard steps to help keep motor noise (if that is what is causing this) out of the system include: Make sure that the USB cable is nowhere near any motor wiring (power supply, motor leads, etc.).  Also make sure that all limit switch wiring is as far from the motor wiring as possible.

The second error I have no idea.  If you did not exit Mach4 and unplug the PMDX-424's USB port after the comms timeout, then all bets are off and this may have been due to some residual state in the plug-in or device that wasn't cleaned up (a total wild a-- guess here).

backlashphoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »
Amazing. I moved my USB cable to a location away from other cables, etc, and the machine works perfectly. RefAllHome does exactly what I want it to. Thanks for the tip! I don't think I would have thought of that. Thanks again!