Author Topic: Issue getting spindle to run 424 and 407 connected to YL600  (Read 2564 times)

xusmcx

• View Profile
Issue getting spindle to run 424 and 407 connected to YL600
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:27:21 PM »
I have built other cnc system but new to Mach4 cnc.

I cannot get the spindle to run with the current configuration. Was checking if anyone has this VFD it is a Chinese YL600/YL620-A. I can get the spindle to turn when configured from the front panel but when configured with the PDMX-407 I can't get it to spin.

I have the wiring as:

PDMX-407      VFD
RUN     >     REV
COM     >     GND
AGND    >     XGND (digital ground)
AOUT    >     VI1
AREF    >     10V

(Picture 4.jpg has the pinouts on the VFD from the manual)

In the VFD I set P00.01 to 1 and set P07.08 to 3. These values look the same as other Chinese VFD's like this.

In Mach 4 in the plugin config under spindle I enabled PWM and the PMDX-407.

I tried running a s500 but I can't get the spindle to run. Am I missing something here? I have included info from the manual and other pictures of the 407 and the VFD.

Thank you for any help.

12strings

• View Profile
Re: Issue getting spindle to run 424 and 407 connected to YL600
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 10:26:04 PM »
Shouldn't matter (as best I can tell from the identical wording on the VFD pages you posted) for GND and XGND, but I would swap the GND and XGND so that the PMDX-407's AGND goes the the VFD's GND, and the 407's COM goes to the VFD's XGND.  Of course, if you take a meter and measure zero ohms between GND and XGND, it REALLY doesn't matter.

Have you configured the Mach4 spindle speed table?  Go to the Mach4 "Configure" menu, select "Mach", then click on the "Spindle" tab.  You need to have a valid min and max spindle speeds here, usually in line zero, unless you have GCode that selects a different "gearing" (which I don't recall how to do).

There are two LEDs on the 407.  When Mach4 has the spindle turned off, both LEDs should be off.  When you try to run the spindle from Mach4, you should see the LED between the ribbon header and the 2-position screw terminal turn on.  The other LED, labeled "PWM" should also turn on and its brightness should vary with spindle speed - dimmer at slower speeds and brighter at higher speeds.  Do you see these LEDs doing anything?

When you turn the spindle on from inside Mach4, do you see any messages in the Mach4 status line (lower left of the window)?  You may have to click on the "history" button if there have been multiple messages.

xusmcx

• View Profile
Re: Issue getting spindle to run 424 and 407 connected to YL600
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 06:12:32 PM »
Thank you 12Strings!!! I had to setup the spindle speed table and then I was able to get the spindle to run.