Author Topic: Introduce myself also  (Read 3215 times)

hswaters

• View Profile
Introduce myself also
« on: September 02, 2019, 06:10:41 PM »
Hello folks.  My name is Harold and I am retired and a certified old geezer.   I have purchased mach4 and a pmdx-416 for my plasma cutter table.  Actually I am just now building it and have arrived at a point near where I will have to try it with real metal.  I am not sure how mach4 uses the pierce command which I think is "P" to activate an output to start the plasma on my torch.  I do not have a THC and may not ever get one unless it just is unavoidable.  Is their a particular output that is going to be triggered or do I have to create some code in the screen?   I am at the point where I need to wire the torch to some signal to get it started.  I am new to CNC and in fact the reason I started on a plasma torch is I figured it would be the simplest project to tackle.  Maybe later I will convert my manual mill to cnc or maybe not. 

Anyway can someone point me in the right direction to get this information.  I am an ancient redneck so I will need some very specific details.

12strings

• View Profile
Re: Introduce myself also
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 11:42:49 PM »
Don't know much about how Mach4 deals with plasma cutters.  That may be a better question for the Mach4 support forums.  I don't see a Mach4 output signal specifically for "torch on" (though there is an "torch on" INPUT signal).  You could probably use the "Spindle On" output signal to turn your torch on and off.  Depending on what type of signal your plasma current needs to turn the torch on (voltage levels, drive current) you could use the PMDX-416's relay contacts or one of the TTL level (5 volt) outputs.

For example, to map the "Spindle On" signals to the PMDX-416's relay, go to the Mach4 "Configure" menu then select "Mach...".  When the dialog appears, click on the "Output Signals" tab.  Scroll WAY down until you see the "Spindle On" signal in the left column.  Click the red "X" next to that to enable it (green check mark).  Click in the "Device" box and select the PMDX SmartBOB.  Click in the "Output Name" box and select "Relay".  Leave the "active Low" as a red X.  The "Spindle CW" or "Spindle CCW" buttons and M3 or M4 commands should now turn on the relay.  M5 should turn it off.

hswaters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 11:48:37 AM »
Thanks a million for your reply.  Since I posted this I have read even more documentation and obtained some sample gcode and they use the M3 command to turn on the arc and the M5 to turn it off.  I will follow your instructions and I am sure it will all work fine.  Thanks again for your assistance.

hswaters

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 10:22:54 AM »
Yes I have found that the spindle on and spindle off work for torch on and off.  I asked this question so long ago I had forgotten it.  M3 turns the torch on and M5 turns it off.