Author Topic: pmdx-107 test  (Read 3635 times)

JRM

• View Profile
pmdx-107 test
« on: November 01, 2020, 12:04:51 PM »
I have a PMDX-107 that doesn't seem to be sending anything to the J1 connector. All the lights flash like they should in test mode, but when I connected it to my motor control adjusting the pot doesn't change the motor speed. I am also using the Run/Com ports to flip a PMDX-ContactorMD20-120 on. I tested the PMDX-ContactorMD20-120 using 120v and it does flip but not when its connected to the PMDX-107. I checked between Run and Com using a multimeter and there isn't anything when its in test mode. I also checked between Aout and Agnd am I doing something wrong or is the board bad?

12strings

• View Profile
Re: pmdx-107 test
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 07:01:05 PM »
> adjusting the pot doesn't change the motor speed

Adjusting the pot on the 107?  Are you in "test" mode on the 107 when you are turning the pot?  That pot adjusts the MAX RPM (i.e. it trims the output voltage when the PWM is set to 100%).  And it is a fairly narrow adjustment range - I don't recall exactly, but maybe +5%/-20% or something like that.  If you get zero motion then the pot setting isn't the issue.

Are you supplying an external voltage reference into the "Aref" terminal?  Or are you using the 107's internally generated 10V/5V reference?

What are the 107's DIP switch settings?  And can you show your wiring between the 107, the contactor and your spindle controller?  Hand drawn wiring diagram is fine.

JRM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:15:07 PM »
Below is the wiring diagram as I think it should be but the spindle doesn't turn on if its wired like this. I have 6, 4, 3 switched on. The contractor doesn't flip or seem to receive a signal from the controller to turn the KBIC-240DS on.

If I wire the KBIC-240DS directly then when I run test mode the spindle turns on and seems to run at full speed but changing the pot on the PMDX-107 doesn't seem to noticeable effect the speed. I also am not sure what the settings for the pots on the KBIC-240DS should be. The contractor still doesn't flip when its wired this way.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 04:20:09 PM by JRM »

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 02:58:10 PM »
Your connections to the Aref/Aout/Agnd look OK.  However, you have your spindle motor connected to F+/A-.  Shouldn't that be either F+/F- or A+/A-????  I don't know the KLBC-240DS in detail, I'm just looking at the users manual pictures.

And the connections between the 107 and the contactor are not right.  You need 120VAC across the contactor coil to engage the contactor.  All the 107 will do is connect (short) its COM and FWD/RUN terminals (or COM and REV/DIR).  So presuming the contactor has a 120VAC coil, you need to take 120VAC (hot) into the 107's COM terminal, then the 107's FWD/RUN terninal fo one contactor coil terminal, then from the other contactor coil terminal to the 120VAC return/neutral.  This allows the 107 to switch 120VAC on and off across the contactor coil.

When you run the 107 in "test" mode, what happens if you press the button once to enter test mode (presumable spindle runs near full speed), then you press the button one more time.  The spindle motor should slow down to around 30% of full speed.  Does that happen?

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 08:14:29 AM »
NO - DO NOT DO WHAT I SUGGESTED ABOVE !!!!!!!!!!!

It depends on which contactor you have.  I just looked up the specs on the 107's solid-state relay.  The manual says 80mA max continuous but nothing about inrush current.  If you are using something like the PMDX-Contactor18-120 (http://www.pmdx.com/Contactor18-120), that requires 600mA inrush current and I don't think the 107 can handle that (i.e. you may blow the solid state relay on the 107).

If the contactor you have is the PMDX-ContactorMD20-120 (http://www.pmdx.com/ContactorMD20-120) then you are OK as that is specifically mentioned as compatible with the 107.

If you have the PMDX-Contactor18-120 (or -230) you will need to use the PMDX-ContactorMD20-120 as an intermediate contactor between the 107 and the large contactor.

So the wiring would be
(1) 107 to PMDX-ContactorMD20-120 as I described in my previous post (running 120VAC through the 107's COM and RUN/FWD terminals)

(2) In a similar manner, run 120VAC through the MD20-120's output contactor terminals to the coil of the large contactor.

JRM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 05:58:40 PM »
The Contactor is working now based on how you explained to wire it. The diagram I posed is wrong though with how the spindle motor is connected it was never connected that way and always though A+/A-. When I started the retrofit this is how the motor control was wired.

When I run test mode the motor turns on when I press and hold the button, but when I press and hold the button a second time it seems to simply continue at the same spreed.

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 12:28:35 AM »
OK - if you have a volt meter, measure the voltage between Aref and Agnd on the 107 (or on your spindle controller).  After pressing the 107's test button once to start test mode, measure the voltage between Aout and Agnd.  Then press the test button a second time and measure Aout to Agnd again.  What readings do you get?

Also - the picture you just posted shows nothing connected to the P3 terminal.  I know you said that picture is from when you first started, but just confirming - do you have P3 connected to the 107's Aref terminal?

JRM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »
I tested between Aout and Agnd using two multimeters and didn't detect any voltage. I also tested both Multimeter using a 12V power supply and they are both detecting 12V I might test them on a 5V PC power supply later but neither of the multimeters are detecting any voltage between Aout to Agnd when I press the test button the first or second time. The spindle controller is wired as show in the diagram and this photo. The other photo was how it was wired using the original controller board.

TallyFeli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 11:46:41 AM »
Hi....making the M3 order match the PMDX-107's test mode will run your shaft in reverse. So you ought to likewise actually take a look at your VFD manual to check whether there is a setting that controls how its "Bearing" input works, in case there is such a setting. Or then again switch the wiring as Steve recommended. Assuming you can't change how your VFD deciphers its heading input, leave the current Mach/Smoothstepper settings alone and simply recollect that the PMDX-107's test mode will run your shaft in reverse.