Author Topic: PMDX-126 and ESS Mapping  (Read 1588 times)

megaplow

• View Profile
PMDX-126 and ESS Mapping
« on: June 09, 2021, 01:33:17 AM »
My old motion controller is out and the PMDX-126 is in!
Riding it like a pony is the ESS. I am having trouble getting my ESS mapping correct. I put my motor controllers on the PMDX pins 2-9 and my limit switches on pins 13, 15, E, F, G, H.

How should I map those PMDX pins to the ESS?
Which port are the 2-9 pins on?
Which port are the 13, 15, E, F, G, H pins on?
How do I reference lettered pins in the ESS setup when it is only showing numbered pins?

Attached is an image of my install, please let me know if it looks sane.

Any help or config images would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

cncnewbie24

• View Profile
Re: PMDX-126 and ESS Mapping
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 03:25:03 PM »
Did you figure this out, in the same boat now with my DIY machine and haven

Walter

• View Profile
Re: PMDX-126 and ESS Mapping
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 02:44:08 PM »
Did you figure this out, in the same boat now with my DIY machine and haven

I am also building a DIY CNC machine and haven't quite gotten to the point of mapping the ESS ports, so perhaps we can figure this out together.  From my understanding the PMDX-126 can be configured to use one or two parallel ports.  I believe the ESS has three parallel ports; however, I would assume configuring the PMDX-126 to use two is the norm and the PMDX-126 is configured for a "normal" mode. 

The ESS mapping should be fairly straight forward, and the manual for the PMDX-126 states (in section 11) which pins are mapped to which parallel port pin.  Generally, the terminals on the  PMDX-126 that have a connection to a parallel port pin are named for the parallel port pin it is associated with where numbered names are for parallel port 1 and lettered names are for parallel port 2.  The numbers in quotes (e.g., "13" or "15") directly correspond to the same pin on parallel port 1.  The lettered inputs are not so obvious, but from the manual, "E" -> pp #2, pin 11; "F" -> pp #2, pin 12 and so on.  Again this is assuming the PMDX-129 is configured for a "normal" mode and not an "expanded" mode.

The PMDX-126 has several other pins that are not connected to a parallel port.  For example, the PMDX-126 has a few unregulated 12v and regulated 5v output pins (with limited current output capability), and two ground types (PCgnd and GND) which should never have continuity with each other (i.e., should never be connected together).  The PCgnd is connected to the parallel port's ground pin and the GND pins are connected to each other and at least one should be connected to the machine frame and main power safety ground (section 10).   

I'm sure you already knew some or all of the above.  What is your setup and what particular challenges are currently facing?