Author Topic: Just purchased PDMX and other items  (Read 11349 times)

SolarImages

• View Profile
Just purchased PDMX and other items
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »
So i just purchased the PMDX 126, the PMDX 107, PDMX ContractorMD20-120, and two PMDX-HRD26 Ribbon cables. I currently have a ESS from Warp 9. Anything else i should look into before i start my retrofit of my running gecko 320 driven 3 motor machine? Drivers are good, Servo's check out, I have a licenced copy of Mach 3 and a good PC to run it off of. Maybe some someone has a Diagram laying around of what they did? Cheers!

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: Just purchased PDMX and other items
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 11:58:52 PM »
Since everyone's system is "just a little bit different", it is kind of hard to come up with a generic connection diagram.  Examples of various kinds of limit and home switch configurations are shown in the PMDX-126 manual.  And the PMDX-107 manual shows (generically) how to connect to various types of spindle controllers.

We also have an application note that describes how to use the PMDX-126's smaller relay and EStop switches to control machine and/or motor power.  See AN002 at http://pmdx.com/AppNotes.

There was a diagram of one person's PMDX-126 connections posted in this thread, in case that will be of any help.  This diagram has Gecko G201X stepper drivers, but the step/dir connections should be similar (the G320 "COM" terminal must be connected to the +5V terminals on the PMDX-126, while the G320X "COM" terminal can be connected to either the +5V or GND terminals on the PMDX-126)"
http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-Forums/index.php?topic=106.msg358#msg358

If you have specific questions, you can post them here.  If you come up with a proposed wiring scheme and want to post it here we can help review it for you.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

SolarImages

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 11:39:49 AM »
Thank you for the input! I will post my diagram next week!

SolarImages

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:52:12 PM »
Please let me know if this looks i am heading the right direction here.

Also i assume Mach 3 ports and pins line up with the Numbers on the PDMX 126?

Coils

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 09:15:43 PM »
I'm far from an expert on these, so also see what others say.

But yes your heading in the right direction.
I didn't see it mentioned here but since your using the ESS and the PMDX 107 spindle controller, you need to have a separate power source of 5v for the ESS (per the manuals). Just wanted to mention it in case you didn't know.

"Also i assume Mach 3 ports and pins line up with the Numbers on the PDMX 126?"
As far as I can tell, yes, the numbers on the board line up with the pin numbers for Port 1, and the lettered ones to Port 2. If you look at the PMDX 126 manual close to the end they have all this info in groups for each J connector strip with brief explanations for each terminal.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 12:33:37 AM »
Yes, that is a good start.  And yes, as Coils said, the numbers on the PMDX-126 next to the screw terminals are the "Port 1" parallel port pin numbers, and the letters are the "Port 2" signals.  See table 21 on page 30 of the PMDX-126 users manual to see which pins on connector J5 correspond to which Port 2 output signals, and table 27 on page 31 for the pins on connector J11 and input signals on port 2.

Note that your diagram shows the "X" axis on port 1 pins 8 (step) and 9 (dir).  This is OK as long as you make sure that Mach3 is configured to match.  It is more common (but not necessary) to have the "X" axis on pins 2 & 3, and this is the default configuration in Mach3 and in our sample XML files.  But like I said, as long as you change the Mach3 config to match your actual wiring it will work just fine.

And again, as Coils mentioned (thanks!), the PMDX-126 cannot power both the PMDX-107 and the ESS.  You will need to set PMDX-126 jumper JP3 to "Off" and provide an external regulated +5V DC for the ESS.

Bob
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

SolarImages

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 10:29:33 PM »
Thank you for the information I have everything talking except the relay I bought to control the router not sure how to wire that up any advice would great thank you MD20 120 is the relay

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 02:57:56 PM »
Thank you for the information I have everything talking except the relay I bought to control the router not sure how to wire that up any advice would great thank you MD20 120 is the relay

Presuming that you want to use this contactor to control AC power into the router (wood router??) and that you are not trying to control the direction of the router:

(1) Connect the "hot" lead of the 120VAC into the "Fwd/Run" terminal on the PMDX-107
(2) Connect to "COM" terminal on the PMDX-107 terminal "0" (or "1") on the MD20 contactor
(3) Connect the "1" terminal on the MD20 back to the 120VAC neutral that pairs with the "hot" lead in step (1).
(4) Connect the "hot" lead of the 120VAC (or 240VAC depending on your motor) to MD20 terminal "2"
(5) Connect MD20 terminal "4" to the AC "hot" wire into your router motor
(6) Connect the "neutral" lead of the 120/240VAC power to MD20 terminal "6"
(7) Connect MD20 terminal "8" to the AC" neutral" wire into your router motor
(8) If you router motor has an earth ground wire, connect that to your system's earth/safety ground.
(9) On the PMDX-107, set DIP Switch "Config3" to "On" so that the "Fwd/Run" terminal acts as the "Run" signal.

Steps (1) to (3) and (9) set the PMDX-107 to energize the contactor coil when the spindle is running.  The other steps route both the 'hot" and "neutral" AC power lines through the contactor contacts.

Bob

SolarImages

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 09:35:29 PM »
Thank you for the help on the relay! So now my question is can i Mix two 320 drivers pushing servo's (X axis, Y Axis) and one 203 driver pushing a 960 oz Stepper (Z Axis)? I believe from what i have read that the answer is yes.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 12:11:30 AM »
Thank you for the help on the relay! So now my question is can i Mix two 320 drivers pushing servo's (X axis, Y Axis) and one 203 driver pushing a 960 oz Stepper (Z Axis)? I believe from what i have read that the answer is yes.

Yes.  You can connect any motor driver as long as it takes step & direction inputs.  The PMDX boards (and Mach) don't care how the step/dir signals actually make the motors move.

Bob

SolarImages

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »
Ok so.. sorry for all the questions. I have a Pmdx 134 motherboard can i use this with only one 203v driver in it to start and add others later? So i would use two outputs on the Pmdx 126 for 320 legacy drivers and then use the mother board Pmdx 134 for one 203v driver. Sound messed up? thank you!

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 05:44:19 PM »
I have a Pmdx 134 motherboard can i use this with only one 203v driver in it to start and add others later? So i would use two outputs on the Pmdx 126 for 320 legacy drivers and then use the mother board Pmdx 134 for one 203v driver.

Yes, you can mix drivers on the PMDX-134 and drivers direct wired to the PMDX-126 as long as you make sure that the direct-wired drivers use different step/dir pins than the ones used by the drivers on the PMDX-134.  For example, if you have a G203V plugged into the "Axis #1" slot on the PMDX-134, then make sure the direct-wired drivers don't use parallel port pins 2 & 3 (connector J4 on the PMDX-126).  Note that the "Axis #1" label on the PMDX-134 is NOT NECESSARILY the same as the "X Axis" in Mach.  See the PMDX-134 manual section 3.4 for a list of step/dir pins for each of the four motor driver positions on the PMDX-134.

Bob

SolarImages

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 01:13:30 PM »
Thank you very much for the help!

SolarImages

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 04:16:55 PM »
Please let me know if the relay addition looks correct. thank you!

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 02:13:25 AM »
One change: You show the 120VAC "hot" line coming into the PMDX-107 on the "Rev/Dir" terminal.  It should be connected to the "Fwd/Run" terminal instead.

But let me step back a minute and ask a question or two that I should have asked before.  Do you ever intend to control the spindle (router) speed?  Are you planning to use either of the two relays on the PMDX-126 for anything (for example, controlling machine power as in our app note AN003 here: http://pmdx.com/AppNotes, or for vacuums or dust collectors, etc.)?

If all you ever want to do is switch the spindle motor on and off (no direction control and no speed control), you can use one of the relays on the PMDX-126 for this and you don't need the PMDX-107.  Presuming of course that you aren't already using both relays for other purposes.

Bob