Author Topic: Making progress, need help with inputs to PMDX-107  (Read 2491 times)

kemlin

• View Profile
Making progress, need help with inputs to PMDX-107
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:41:30 AM »
I'll try to make this as short as I can.  I have been working on a conversion on a mill for a while now.  Had a guy that knew what he was doing helping me, he bailed and I have been learning as I go so bear with me.  As of right now the VFD works from the VFD panel so I am sure that is in good working order.  I have the drivers wired but not tested as of yet, I am working on being able to control spindle speed from Mach III and need a little help getting that portion up and running.  The previous VFD had a PWM setup and I have limited data on how that was actually wired even though I have a schematic (which is lacking) so I have to figure out which wire is what function.  Any input as to how I can accomplish that would be greatly appreciated.  Also I need to figure out how/where to connect those input wires to the PMDX-107.  I have been over the manual and just can't get my brain wrapped around the entire idea.  If there is a good program for drawing out my wiring it would be great to use and show you what I have so far.  Thanks in advance and please bear with me.

kemlin

• View Profile
Re: Making progress, need help with inputs to PMDX-107
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:03:55 AM »
After thinking on this quite a bit this morning I may be on the wrong track.  I have a series of wires coming from (or going to) the spindle motor from the old VFD which has been replaced.  I was figuring these were outputs from the motor but I am thinking they may be inputs from the old VFD and I am not sure which.  The wiring looks just like the encoders did.  I was thinking the PMDX boards (107 and 126) would need some type of reference from the spindle motor but after a lot of reading I am wondering if the PC works as the PWM to drive the motor.  If that is the case it is all wired to the VFD and I am unable to get the spindle to spin.  I think I just realized that I am just as lost as I was before.

kemlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:13:39 AM »
The spindle does spin when I go to do the "test" mode from the 107 so I am fairly sure the DIP switches are in the correct position.  I am unable to control it from Mach III and really can't figure out why.  I have the output enabled in the config but it doesn't seem to do anything.  I am going to pose this same instance over on the artsoft forum and see what I get but help here would be great also.

kemlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
With help/guidance from PMDX this issue has been resolved.