Author Topic: Mach 4 Licensing thru PMDX  (Read 4779 times)

HDVideo

• View Profile
Mach 4 Licensing thru PMDX
« on: January 03, 2016, 09:19:50 PM »
I'm considering the PMDX-411/Mach4 bundle but was wondering how Mach4 licensing is done through distributors.  Is that done through the Newfangled Solutions website directly or do distributors act as a middle-man for those transactions?

I read on the NS site that hobby users can run the software on more than one machine under a single license, but it was a little vague.

"Use the PC ID code from the Help/About screen at checkout to license this single computer.  Additional licenses can be created after the initial purchase from within your account."

It also says that if the product is purchased through a distributor, they buyer will not have an account at NS. So how would one go about getting the additional license(s), if required, or replace the license in the event of computer replacement?

Thanks,
Ed

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: Mach 4 Licensing thru PMDX
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »
I'm considering the PMDX-411/Mach4 bundle but was wondering how Mach4 licensing is done through distributors.  Is that done through the Newfangled Solutions website directly or do distributors act as a middle-man for those transactions?
When you by a Mach4Hobby license from us, we (PMDX) provide you a coupon code that you then use on the Machsupport.com site, along with your PCID, to get your Mach4Hobby license.  Here is a complete description of the process:
http://pmdx.com/Mach4-License

I read on the NS site that hobby users can run the software on more than one machine under a single license, but it was a little vague.
I believe that they allow up to 5 active licenses at a time, though they ask that if you are using multiple PCs/machines for production (i.e. revenue producing) work that you purchase a license for each of those machines.  But that is my recollection.  Please read the Mach4 license terms for the definitive answer (http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/software-licensing-info/).  Look in the "General" tab for "non-commercial" users.

It also says that if the product is purchased through a distributor, they buyer will not have an account at NS. So how would one go about getting the additional license(s), if required, or replace the license in the event of computer replacement?
That *used* to be the case, but no longer is, at least the way that PMDX handles license purchases.  See the link I posted above.

Bob
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.

Steve Stallings

• Administrator
  • www.PMDX.com/Images/Avatar120.jpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:04:31 PM »
Some of the information that you quoted from the web site is outdated and
describes the situation for purchasers of machines that include an OEM
license which is registered to the OEM not the end customer. PMDX does
not use this process.

Newfangled Solutions/Artsoft now recommends a process where the reseller
provides the purchaser with a "coupon" that serves as payment on the
Mach4 license server web site. This is the process that PMDX now uses.
The customer registers on the MachSupport.com web site and goes through
the checkout process on the license server using the "coupon" in place of a
credit card or PayPal payment.

Customers get the same access to the license server as anyone who purchases
direct from Newfangled Solutions/Artsoft and can create additional licenses up
to 5 active on machines for hobby use. Old licenses can be deactivated when
you replace hard drives or otherwise change your computer in a way such that
a new license is needed.

When a Mach4 license is purchased from the PMDX web site, the process of
issuing the "coupon" is still manual and may take up to 1 full business day
if the order arrives when we are not in the office. Once the coupon is used
on the MachSupport web site's license server, the license file itself typically
is returned to you via email in just a few minutes. More information about
the process is here:

http://www.pmdx.com/Mach4-License
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

HDVideo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 09:44:37 AM »
Thank you both for the prompt reply.  That makes more sense than what I was reading on NS.

Ed