Author Topic: PMDX-410 Pin Assignment Descriptions  (Read 2759 times)

broered

• View Profile
PMDX-410 Pin Assignment Descriptions
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »
First, I apologize if most of this is below your level of understanding.  Normally, I'd be able to get myself up to speed with more information - if I could find it.

Last week I got a PMDX-4101 (board says Rev B1)  QuickStart Paperwork says Rev0_2

Looking at the board, the large Green 6 position connector Is, I believe, J10.  pin positions are labeled
gnd, E-stop, "A", "B", "C", and +5S

I'm having trouble working this information back to the Quick Start Guide.  There's no mention of J10 in the guide and there's no description information for the pin outs.

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: PMDX-410 Pin Assignment Descriptions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »
Sorry about that.  It seems we left that section out of the PMDX-410 quick start.  I've updated the PMDX-410 Quick Start manual on our web site, and here is the text from the new section that describes the signals on J10:

J10 - This connector provides three additional general purpose input signals.  These are logic level signals with pull-up resistors to allow use with switches connecting to ground.  These inputs are protected from voltages of up to 7 volts DC.  These signals have less filtering because they are intended to be usable as high-speed encoder inputs at some time in the future.

* GND is the ground reference for the input signals
* E-Stop is a duplicate of ?Pin 10 equivalent? input signal on J2, which is normally used as the E-Stop input
* ?A? is a general purpose input (future encoder A channel input)
* ?B? is a general purpose input (future encoder B channel input)
* ?C? is a general purpose input (future encoder Index channel input)
* +5S is a switched +5 volt DC output derived from the USB jack.  This special power output is enabled after the PMDX-410 negotiates with the USB host device for additional power. This may allow the users of this power to exceed the baseline USB power limits.  If the host declines to offer sufficient power, or the PMDX-410 is being powered from a different source, there will be no power available on this terminal.

Note: The three inputs on J10 will show up on the "Input Signals" tab in Mach4 as "PinA", "PinB" and "PinC".
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.