Author Topic: 411 has stopped working  (Read 6343 times)

crchisholm

• View Profile
411 has stopped working
« on: March 04, 2017, 11:23:52 AM »
Windows 7 32bit sp1
4gb ram
Mach4hobby build 3233
gecko g540
PDMX 411

Just got everything setup on the 411 and gecko g540 and had one successful job (small one).  This morning, I started my second job (a little larger) and all was well for about the first 1 or 2 minutes of the run.  Then it just stopped, the enable buttons was flashing, and I got a message saying that the smartBob could not be found.  I tried rebooting and rerunning, but when I went into Mach4 I got the message that the autoscan could not find the device.  I tried another USB extension cable (both good quality) and another USB port.

The driver being used is below.  Is that the right driver?

As it sits now, the  red light on the 411 is solid on and the green light is flashing every two seconds, but Mach4 still can not find the device.

I just started two weeks vacation and my whole plan was to get everything working perfectly on my CNC, but ran into this right at the start.  Please tell me how to diagnose this

the driver being used is below.  Is that the right driver?  If not, why would it work fine for a while and then just quite.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:42:18 AM by crchisholm »

jsokolowski

• View Profile
Re: 411 has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »
I experienced the exact same problem. The only difference in my setup is that I am running Windows 10.

crchisholm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »
addendum: 

I found that I could get the device to work again if I turned off and unplugged the CNC, exited mach4 and disconnected the USB cable from the 411.  Once I've restarted the computer, reconnected the USB, and restarted the CNC, it worked again for a while.  That was attempt 3.  I had to go through the same process again to get it to work.  I have since done a couple runs that seemed to work ok, but when the gcode batch (this job requires two tool changes so there are three gcode files).  After the gcode batch was done, i would get the same message that Mach4 has lost connectivity with the BOB, and I would have to go through the whole process again.  The biggest issue with that is that when I restart the machine, I have to reestablish the origin and that is more guess work than science.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

crchisholm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 07:10:27 PM »
Addendum 2:
My CNC is a small Ok, and was plugged into a cheap surge suppressing power strip.  In trying anything I could think of, I plugged it into the main outlet to limit the devices in the power path.  Since I did that, mach4 has not lost connection to the 411.  I was able to run all three gcode files without resetting mach4, the cnc, or the computer.  (I am knocking on my wood end table).  We'll see how things go tomorrow, but this is encouraging.

hooked

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 07:52:13 PM »
Charles,

I'm still testing my machine.  However, during this time I kept having dropouts PMDX/Mach4. I placed ferrite beads on both ends of the USB cable.  No further issues.  (I used the clamp on type ferrites)

This may help!!!!

Cheers

Daryl

hooked

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »
Just thought of something else I do on my CNC pc's.

Go into device manager and switch off Auto Power Off on each USB hub.

crchisholm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:18:15 PM »
Well unfortunately, my luck did not hold.  I had to start a job five times today to get it to run all the way through (and would only loose contact after it had been running for an hour or more).   This Is frustrating.

@hooked, I have ordered some ferrite clamps and tried to order a USB cable from this site but I guess they are having issues with the site.  I will try again tomorrow, and also check the sub ports as you suggest above.

Charlie

jsokolowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 01:50:42 PM »
I seemed to have resolved my issue as reported above. I disabled the USB power down items and turned off my touch screen device and the problem has not reoccurred.

crchisholm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
I have disabled power down on all USB root hubs.  It too late in the day to try it again to night but will try it tomorrow.  I would have thought that if that were the problem, it would have happened more consistently.  I have had jobs that ran for an hour and  a half go all the way to completion, but then the next job might be 10 minutes and it shuts down 3 or 4 time before I finally get it to stay connected long enough to complete.

I know one thing for certain:  I don't now crap.    I have also ordered clamp on ferrite rings and those should be here tomorrow.  At this point if someone suggested waring a red t-shirt and walking backwards, I would try it.

Thanks

crchisholm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 07:07:59 PM »
Oh yeah, I ordered the USB cable from this site as well.   I already had the red t-shirt though.

crchisholm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 12:02:10 PM »
Ran two large gcode files  through the CNC and no problems. Turning off the power management may have done the trick.       

Thanks a bunch.

jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 06:09:28 PM »
just an fyi about 411 stopping to work for no apparent reason. error message "can't find the 411" (or something along those lines)
i use mach4 in windows 10 (because i HAVE to, not WANT to...).
had the problem.
disabled "automatically turn off to save power" for EVERY usb port.
problem solved.
time for a beer   :-)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 06:11:46 PM by jacques »