Author Topic: Busybee CX601 RPM sensor to PMDX-126 / 107  (Read 4150 times)

stuartw

• View Profile
Busybee CX601 RPM sensor to PMDX-126 / 107
« on: February 21, 2019, 11:32:12 PM »
I have a CX601 Mill and I'm looking to connect the RPM sensor to the 126 and spindle control to the 107.

I'm unsure if two posts would be appropriate here but It may be useful to have both in a single thread :)

Attached is the wiring diagram which customer support gave me for the 601. It has a KBLC-240D (4771D) control board and the RPM sensor plugs into a separate board with a couple of transformers. I noticed that the diagram is stamped G0704 which I assume is a grizzly part number, so these may be the same in terms of the electronics but support would not confirm if this is the case for all of the components.

So my first question, does anyone know if this is a PNP or NPN configuration for the RPM sensor?

Thanks!

stuartw

• View Profile
Re: Busybee CX601 RPM sensor to PMDX-126 / 107
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 11:39:46 PM »
These are pics of both the main control board and the board with the RPM sensor and display. RPM sensor appears to be J1.

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 12:41:54 AM »
It is (to me)  impossible to tell from the wiring diagram.  But does it matter if the sensor is NPN or PNP?  The PMDX-126 should be able to handle either one.  From the color coding on the wires from the sensor, I'd guess that red and black are the power supply (+V and GND respectively) and yellow is the signal.  Take a meter and measure the voltage from black to red to verify that these are the power supply wires.

stuartw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »
But does it matter if the sensor is NPN or PNP?  The PMDX-126 should be able to handle either one.  From the color coding on the wires from the sensor, I'd guess that red and black are the power supply (+V and GND respectively) and yellow is the signal.  Take a meter and measure the voltage from black to red to verify that these are the power supply wires.

Functionally, both provide a signal as you say but the manual specifies two different wiring schemes for PNP vs NPN. The manual also states that you need to "verify your sensors color code" but the colors specified do not match either config (why I'm posting this question here)

I'll take my dmm and verify the voltage/signal as you've suggested.

stuartw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 12:24:10 PM »

-B,+W = 5V and W appears to be the signal line.
-B,+R  = 5V, supply

part 2: both a meter and the scope report the same frequency which is dependent on the speed, however, shouldn't RPM = 1/freq * 60?  The RPM display and a tachometer both report 145-147 RPM but the frequency is 39Hz, which is again leaving me scratching my head. It's unlikely there are 3.71 slots. So what gives? This difference more or less is observed through the entire range.

stuartw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 12:28:44 AM »
part 2: both a meter and the scope report the same frequency which is dependent on the speed, however, shouldn't RPM = 1/freq * 60?  The RPM display and a tachometer both report 145-147 RPM but the frequency is 39Hz, which is again leaving me scratching my head. It's unlikely there are 3.71 slots. So what gives? This difference more or less is observed through the entire range.

Alright, well I feel a bit silly. I opened the housing where the RPM sensor is installed and found 16 holes in the disc. Revisiting the frequency reported: 39.35Hz / 16 * 60 = 147.56 RPM, which is in the range of what is reported by the display and the tachometer.