Author Topic: Proma sd 150 -- PMDX-416 -- mach4  (Read 2678 times)

hswaters

• View Profile
Proma sd 150 -- PMDX-416 -- mach4
« on: September 24, 2019, 11:01:45 PM »
I have mach4 and a plasma cutter table.  I want to install a Proma SD 150 torch height control.  I am new to mach4, PMDX, and Proma so assume that I know nothing.  I was looking at the torch configuration in mach4 and it gives the choice of manual, digital, and analog for the THC and in the example says to take analog.    The configuration assumes that I have a pokeys???  so I am not sure the information is good for the Proma.  The Proma manual shows how to connect the wiring but does not mention mach4 or any software.  Their is also a lot of talk about a register with information and it shows one for pokeys.  I would guess I have to create a register for the Proma?  It would be wonderful if I could find someone who has installed a Proma SD 150 on the PMDX-416 and mach4.   

12strings

• View Profile
Re: Proma sd 150 -- PMDX-416 -- mach4
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 01:26:45 AM »
Where did you find the information about configuring THC in Mach4?  In general I would think you connect the SD150's "COM" to the PMDX-416 "COM" on the inputs connector, then wire the "Arc OK", "Up" and "Down" to 3 of the input signals.  In Mach4 configure the input signals to map these 3 pins to the "THC On", "THC Up" and "THC Down" input signals.

What to do from there I have no idea.  I don't know if Mach4 can handle the chore of monitoring the up/down signals and generating step pulses to move the plasma head up and down, or if the timing on that is critical enough that it has to be supported in the plug-in.

hswaters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 08:12:56 PM »
I have a PDF titled Mach4 plasma configuration.  I am not sure where it came from but I would assume Artsoft division of NewFangledSolutions.  It may or may not have that title on their site as I often rename a PDF that comes with numbers for a name.  It shows the mach4 plasma screen in the Mach4 software plasma screen configuration tab at the bottom of the configuration drop down is the plasmascreenconfiguration menu.  This is where I got the questions about manual, analog, or digital for the THC. 
Thanks for the names of the inputs in the screen.  The Proma THC sends signals to raise or lower the torch by connection to the PMDX inputs.  Their is no software driver or plugin for the proma as far as I know although I have not actually received it as yet to see what is in the box.  The lack of a driver makes me wonder about the register usage as was mentioned for the pokeysxxxx device.  I have assumed this far that the Proma would send step pulses to the PMDX and mach4 would observe and report on that to the user likely pass them on to the PMDX connections to the Z axis motor but not take any action itself as the Proma is sending the commands for torch up and down.  I hope some of that makes sense. Thanks again for the reply.

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 11:35:44 PM »
Well what do you know.  The CNC fairy just pointed out that there is a newer Mach4 release that I didn't know about (build 4300).  And that has the THC support and a "Plasma_Configuration.pdf" document.

I'm out of my league here.  From the Plasma_Configuration PDF, it sounds like the "analog voltage input register" is only used for simulating THC operation.  But it makes no mention of what to do to set up a pure digital system with just up/down signals instead of an analog voltage reading.  This might be a question for the Mach4 Support forums.  Or - it may just be as simple as setting the "Default THC Mode" to "digital" and then mapping the up/down inputs as I mentioned earlier.

hswaters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 09:42:48 PM »
I have it set up now and the Proma controls the torch height when the torch is on.  The mach4 controls the torch height when the torch is off.  So I am not actually using Mach4 for torch control of any sort other than if I want to raise or lower the torch when it is turned off.  This does the job for me.