Author Topic: Same old problem !!!  (Read 1814 times)

edcross

• View Profile
Same old problem !!!
« on: May 22, 2020, 01:37:29 PM »
I have emailed PMDX support several times , they HAVE NOT replied .. I thought it was my vistacnc pendent , i ran it without the pendent enabled , same results . The first history file is from the cut file i was running , it ran about 3/4 through then gave the error . The second history file is when i was jogging from the mach 4 v 4300 screen and gave a error 7 motion message . When the cut file faults , you can"t reset from the mach screen , you have to close mach4 and reset the PMDX 411 at the computer , i have increased the buffer in PMDX settings to 400 , still no good .

Thanks

Ed

12strings

• View Profile
Re: Same old problem !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 05:25:10 PM »
As I mentioned in your original thread (here https://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-Forums/index.php?topic=637.0)

Make sure the power wiring for your spindle is as far away from any other wiring as possible.  Specially any limit switch wiring.  These are notorious for picking up noise (long wires make good antennas).  And the PMDX-411 doesn't have any isolation on its inputs like some other PMDX models.

Have you checked the wiring (or know from when you built the system)?

Even though "nothing has changed", maybe the noise was on the edge of being a problem and, oh I don't know, phase of the moon, sun spots, covid-19, brushes wearing in the spindle motor, something changed so the electrical noise is now an issue.  What type of spindle motor are you using?  Do the files run OK if you keep the spindle powered off? 

Are you using a laptop or desktop PC?  If a laptop, do you get the same issue when running the laptop from its batteries instead of wall power?  If a desktop, can you power the desktop from an outlet on a different phase than your spindle motor?

You may need a ferrite ring around the USB cable. Something like this:
https://www.pmdx.com/USB-Choke

edcross

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 07:47:29 AM »
Desktop computer , spindle or vfd not on while jogging from Mach 4 screen  .

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 11:59:44 AM »
"spindle or vfd not on" - does that mean "powered on but not spinning" or "power to spindle/vfd turned off"?  Yeah I'm being picky here.

And this exact setup used to work just fine, right?  very puzzling.

When jogging the machine, does this happen quickly, or does it take a while before it faults?  Is it repeatable (say, it always fails 2 seconds after starting to move the machine)?  Does it happen when jogging any axis, or only a specific axis?

How about trying this: disconnect the motors from the G540 (power off first).  Then try jogging.  Does it still fault?