Author Topic: Setting up PMDX-107/VFD with PMDX-126 and relays  (Read 18133 times)

MileHiDude

• View Profile
Re: Setting up PMDX-107/VFD with PMDX-126 and relays
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 10:37:47 AM »
Hi...new poster (I think)
I too am having a somewhat similar situation, but yet also a little unique.
I’m utilizing a PMDX-126 with the DIP configuration: 1-8 all on except 7 is off;
 married with the PMDX-107 with its DIP configuration: 1,2,5 & 6 are off, 3 &4 are on.

My VFD (Teco) is solid; utilizing an toggle (by relay or SS) and speed (RPM) by analog input (10VDC)
All has worked well under a different BOB and controller.
Also, when I push the 107’s self contained “Test” button, everything works fine.
However, when I manually click the spindle button on my Mach4 interface or enter the appropriate
code in the MDI (stating speed) my “spindle on” (PMDX-107 out-pins, 4 & 5, I get only a quick energization
at k1 (relay and light) and of course the light at pin 5, then nothing until I make a second attempt at starting
the spindle.
Again, pushing the self-contained “Test” button on the 107 has the spindle performing as it should.

...not sure if I was to post here (couldn’t find where else to go)
Thanks in advance....
Walt

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 10:31:41 AM »
So, to expand on your DIP switch settings:
PMDX-126: Run in "normal" mode without charge pump, no aux feature enabled.  I can't tell what sw7 and 8 do without knowing how JP1 and JP2 are configured.

PMDX-107: Normal mode, SSRs are "run" and "direction", ignore "charge pump OK" signal, fast PWM filter and 10V output range.

Since you mention "K1", I presume you have the PMDX-126's relay somehow involved with the spindle operation?

So backing up a bit: how do you have the PMX-126 connected to your PC?  One of the PMDX SmartBOBs?  A SmoothStepper?  Something else?

When you try to turn on the spindle form Mach4, are you entering a speed and fwd/rev command (i.e. MDI commands "Sxxx" then M3 or M4)?  And have you configured the "Spindle" tab in the configuration screen to set your actual max RPM?

MileHiDude

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 09:56:22 PM »
Hello Again
Sorry for such a late response.........Life
The new setup runs well, in spite of the glitch, I'm really quite pleased.

The spindle.... Just doesn't seem to like an M5 command.

Responds to G-Code M3 with S####
Responds to G-Code M7 and M9 (Mister)
Responds to any written mid-code (as well as Mach4 dashboard) change in spindle RPM
Responds to M3 S#### executed within the MDI

Herein is the exception.....
Responds only to a separate MDI "S0" (zero speed) command outside of the executed G-Code in order to shut down spindle.
JP1 = To run on pin 1    (K1 relay not used)
JP2 = To run on pin 14  (K2 misting relay; running great)
ESS Motion Control

You pointed out:
"PMDX-107: Normal mode, SSRs are "run" and "direction", ignore "charge pump OK" signal, fast PWM filter and 10V output range."
I have set these parameters accordingly.

I've noticed Plug-Ins for Mach4 when 107 is paired with the Smart-Bob boards to rectify M3, M4, M5 etc issues;
does that also apply here?

Thanks again 12strings and sorry for my late response.
I hope I have properly addressed your questions to me.
Walt

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 12:04:43 AM »
Ahhhh, you are using an ESS.  to interface to the PMDX-126/107 combo.  I would contact Warp9 support forums about this, after making sure you have their latest plug-in.  My experience with SmoothSteppers is years out of date, but spindle setup used in the ESS configuration pages used to be non-intuitive (at least to me).  Any way, there is no "smarts" on the PMDX-127

When the spindle is running, you should be able to see the LED on the PMDX-126 for the "PWM" signal (pin 16) turn on when the spindle should be on, and turn off when the spindle should be off.  You should also see it change brightness with changing spindle speeds (brighter at higher speeds).  If that is not happening, then the ESS is not outputting the PWM properly.

I've noticed Plug-Ins for Mach4 when 107 is paired with the Smart-Bob boards to rectify M3, M4, M5 etc issues;
does that also apply here?
Huh? Do you mean the SmartBOB plug-in?  That does not apply here since you are using an ESS.

MileHiDude

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 12:57:38 AM »
Thanks so much 12strings
...good info about the specific criteria related to ESS setup.
Through trial use of the MDI, I found an acceptable work-around (at least for the time being).

It turns out that the following G-Code syntax will shut down the spindle at the end of an executed program.

G0 ......(program's ending lines)
M5
S0
M30

The "M5" has to be on a line separate from and ahead of the "S0" (S-zero) command.

As to your questions about the LED indicators;
yes, they go on when triggered at the program's outset and shut off when the above command protocol is followed.
(Intensity looks as though it changes with speed (RPM) commands; (which commands I've had no issue with).
...go figure...
However, I'm glad it's operational and that its operation at least resembles the intentions of the Warp9 folks; (sorta)
I'll delve into this issue with Warp9 (and perhaps Newfangled) when time permits.
Unless of course you have some other ideas.

Thanks
 - Walt