4 Axis CNC Machine Controller Box for Stepper Motors
PMDX-340 front view
(click on image for higher resolution version)
PMDX-340 rear view
(click on image for higher resolution version)
The PMDX-340 is a fully self-contained motion controller box for small to medium sized CNC machines.
- Compact controller optimized of ease of integration into a user's CNC
machine. Approximately 10" x 8" x3" overall size.
- Suitable for most table top routers, and CNC conversions of mills and
lathes by Sherline, Taig, Seig (mini and micro series), and Little Machine
- Easy setup using rear panel DIP switches and removable-plug
style screw terminal blocks for connections. No soldering required, internal
jumpers to set, or potentiometers to adjust.
- Motor outputs and I/O signals protected against short circuits and against
failures due to connecting or disconnecting while power is applied.
- Connects to any host using a parallel port or using the PMDX-411 step pulse
generator to connect to Mach4 via the USB bus.
- Front panel latching E-Stop button and rear terminal block normally-closed
contacts provide a failsafe E-Stop function that stops motors, turns off the
AC outlet and
all control signal outputs.
- Operates directly from 120 VAC mains power using internal power supply.
- Power entry module provides for a detachable IEC style power cord, power switch,
power line noise filtering, and fuses.
- Supports 4 bipolar stepper motors running with up to 3 amperes current each.
Recommended for NEMA23 or NEMA17 motors.
- Stepper motor supply voltage is nominally 32 volts, resulting in faster
motor speeds than similar systems that use 24 volts.
- Utilizes micro-stepping at 4, 8, 16, or 32 micro-steps as selected by DIP
- Motor current can be set from 0.8 amperes to 3.0 amperes in 0.2 ampere
increments using DIP switches. No potentiometer adjustments are required.
- Motor current can be set to reduce automatically when motors are idle so
that motors run cooler when not moving.
- Thermal management monitors driver temperature, enclosure temperature, and
- Multi-speed cooling fan responds to actual cooling needs.
- Designed for operation between 40 degrees and 100 degrees Fahrenheit
- Supports "Charge Pump" monitoring to lock out motion if the CNC
software is not in control of system. This monitoring can be configured to
be enabled or disabled as desired.
- LED indicators on front panel show status of Power On, E-Stop,
Outputs Enabled, Step Signal Activity, Status, Probe, and AC Outlet
- Status indicator blinks codes to for fault determination or to indicate
reduced current operation.
- All signals in and out are terminated and filtered to help resist noise
- E-Stop inputs, Faults, and "Charge Pump" timeouts turn off all
outputs without assistance from host software.
- Provides one 6 ampere rated switched AC outlet for spindle control or auxiliary
- Provides inputs for external E-Stop loop and 4 additional sensors for
home, limits, probing, or other functions.
- Provides logic level outputs for 2 additional outputs to drive solid state
relays or other accessories.
- +12 VDC is available for powering proximity sensors
and small relays.
- Probe input available on terminal block plug and via a miniature phone
- Probe input jack can be configured for normally closed (Wildhorse mode) or
normally open for cutter touch-off and probes with electronic interfaces
presenting NPN outputs.
- Probe jack and the terminal block probe input can be merged into a single
signal on pin 15 to allow Mach3 to use both a digitizing probe and cutter
touch-off on the same machine setup.
- Status sensor inputs work with mechanical switches, NPN sensors, and 3.3
or 5 volt
logic signals without need for external resistors or jumper settings.
- Built in test for turning motors without need of a host computer.
Note: The step and direction signals used to run this board
as a real time CNC device require precise timing. These signals are normally provided by a
personal computer motherboard with an onboard parallel port, a parallel port interface
card plugged into a motherboard with ISA, PCI, or PCI-Express slots, or by an external
device such as the PMDX-410, PMDX-411 or
PMDX-422 with Mach4, or the SmoothStepper.
You cannot use a USB to printer adapter because
it will alter critical timing of CNC control signals. Laptop computers, even
those with parallel port interfaces, are not recommended as CNC control
computers due to design features that can alter critical timing. If you must use
a laptop be prepared to deal with these design issues and/or plan on using an
external pulse generating device such as the PMDX-410,
PMDX-411 or PMDX-422 with
Mach4, or a SmoothStepper.
User's Manual Coming Soon
Download a Quick Start guide here
(revision 1.0, 5 Aug 2013, 893 KB)
Download the Mach3 XML profile here.
The PMDX-340 is priced at $387.00
Cables are sold separately, if you need a parallel port cable, please order
Spare/Extra motor plugs are available here.
Spare/Extra Input/Output plugs are available here.
(One set of motor and Input/Output plugs is included with basic unit.)
Use PayPal shopping cart for USA delivery only.
Click here for international orders.
For International customers or for alternate payment
options - click HERE