Three Ampere Bipolar Micro-stepping Motor Driver
The PMDX-150 has now transitioned to legacy product status.
It is still possible to special order them but they are not recommended for new
designs. OEMs and those needing replacements should
contact us via email for price and availability quotations.
Click on image for larger view
The PMDX-150 is a full featured, 3 ampere, bipolar stepper motor driver card.
- Based on the Allegro A3977 microstepping chip with a supporting microprocesser to add
- Supports four micro-stepping and step multiplication modes.
- Dip switch current setting from 0.75 amperes to 3 amperes (with fan).
- Auto idle current reduction, with dip switch enable.
- Step pulse polarity is dip switch selectable.
- Opto-isolated inputs for step, direction, and output for fault.
- Step and direction are ground referenced and designed for easy drive from laptop or
motherboard printer ports. The opto-isolators do not need a 5 volt power source.
- Single power supply voltage. Only the motor supply voltage is required. The logic
supply voltage is internally derived.
- On board, self resetting power input fuse.
- Protection against reversed supply voltage.
- On board power supply filter capacitor, no external capacitor needed when using long
- Over-temperature shutdown and lockout. If the driver senses excessive thermal
conditions it will turn off its output, pull the opto-isolated fault output to ground, and
signal the fault by flashing the status LED. It is then necessary to cycle power or push
the test button to clear the fault. This prevents the driver from cycling in and out of
shutdown and makes sure that the operator knows to correct any erroneous motion
- Overvoltage protection is provided for back EMF (returned energy from the motor) and
from voltage spikes caused by loose wiring or unplugging motors with power on.
Please note that this protection should not be relied upon to protect the driver from
excess power supply input voltage.
- LED to indicate activity and fault conditions. Coded flash conditions indicate status
or fault code.
- Push button test to run motor without computer and to reset fault conditions.
- The test button also forces a re-read of the DIP switches so that changed settings can
be checked without cycling power.
- Separate pluggable terminal strips for power/control signals and the stepper motor.
- Mounting holes are provided on the board to allow installation of 45mm frame
size fan directly on the board.
- The motor connector is designed to allow for mounting
the driver directly against a panel with external access to plug in the motor cable
without any additional wiring.
Download the full manual in PDF format here (revision 1.6, 776 KB).